Author Topic: Windpower Science Fair Project  (Read 1536 times)

helena

Windpower Science Fair Project
« on: October 27, 2005, 02:35:43 AM »
Hello-

I'm a highschooler doing a science project on windpower. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of useful questions that could be investigated in a three to four month time span. Not full-fledged projects or experiments, just questions that I might be able to use to develop an experiment. I have zero experience with windmills, etc., so any information on what would actually be useful and relevant to investigate would be wonderful.

Thanks muchly!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 02:35:43 AM by (unknown) »

joemac2005

Re: Windpower Science Fair Project
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 09:15:15 PM »
Here are some thoughts...

What is the relationship between the SIZE of the rotor (propeller) and power

output available? Wind-Swept Area is the Key!

What is the relationship between WIND SPEED and Power Output?

We find the power goes way up as the wind increases, a cubed factor...

What about how high up in the air you put your wind mill?

What about where you put the windwill?

Good things to know, big windmill, up in the air, at a good windy site means POWER.

How about a giant wind farm off the coast of California? Maybe two,

one in the North and one in the South.

Why are European's leading the world in this technology?

What major companies are now getting involved in wind energy.(GE)

just some thoughts... -Joe

« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 09:15:15 PM by joemac2005 »

Clifford

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 01:56:52 AM »
There are several articles about homemade alternators (the core of many windmills).

You could try making a scaled down version.

I presume you could even make some of the parts out of wood rather than tearing apart the front-end of your parent's car.

http://www.otherpower.com/bartmil.html

http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_wind.html

http://www.otherpower.com/learningcurve.html

This wouldn't be for the faint of heart though.

It may be possible to "cheat" some by using pre-made parts such as those from motorcycle generator/alternators.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 01:56:52 AM by Clifford »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 04:31:18 AM »

Read through the site, find the posts that interests you then, link them into a catch up post . You'll either get into something or find something else that interests you more .

This forum is passionate about Re and the wind is the vehicle here. See which way the wind blows.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 04:31:18 AM by tecker »

IntegEner

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 07:41:52 AM »
"Not a full-fledged project...."

See the graphic image of the Bent Air Law on the Home Links and Projects page of www.integener.com . This also makes a good T-shirt iron-on transfer. You are welcome to copy it for display.

Knucks

IntegEner-W

www.integener.com

« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 07:41:52 AM by IntegEner »

IntegEner

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 08:17:36 AM »
As an added idea to my last, the Bent Air Law also applies to sailboats, especially when sailing upwind. Wind energy often does not take the lessons learned from the sails of sailboats and apply them to blades as if to say it is entirely different. Not! Knucks
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 08:17:36 AM by IntegEner »

BoneHead

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 09:49:46 AM »
You could also research projects on this site that rely totally on common and affordable materials for construction.

The idea of wind energy is awesome but unfortunately, the industry is just like any other. It is geared toward profit margins. To illustrate ways in which the financially challenged can take advantage of RE would be a very uncommon project and this site is full of projects like that.

Of course, it probably wont earn you a scholarship. Not many people are really concerned with poor folks anymore. America has kind of lost that "hey, I can build this myself" attitude that it once had to it's disadvantage, but there are many here who have that mindset and who are very successful at their endeavors.

Anyone with $1500 can buy a wind turbine, why not show how folks who choose (or are forced) not to go that way do it?

« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 09:49:46 AM by BoneHead »

asheets

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 12:14:48 PM »
My $.02

Build a quick/dirty version of this:http://wondermagnet.com/other/gentest.html.  FInd out the differences between using different types of magnets (neo, ceremic, etc), different shapes of mags,  different sizes of wire, different number of turns, etc.

Or, demonstrate how to do a induction motor conversion...

« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 12:14:48 PM by asheets »

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 01:08:56 PM »
I think that wind machines will

in the future be different.

Our contemporary machines

are quite complex, costly and

not so effective.

You might try finding out

some other ways to utilize

wind energy.

Electric fences, swinging trees,

balloons carrying wind machines,

rotating kites...

- Hannu

« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 01:08:56 PM by hvirtane »

Clifford

Re: Windpower Science Fair Project ---- Car Fan?
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 07:02:44 PM »
Ok...

I like the idea of making a generator/alternator.  However, that might eat up a lot of time.

Another idea.  I haven't tried it, but that is what science is all about.

Go to your local auto junkyard and find a basic electric powered car fan.  I'd probably go for a big one, but size really doesn't matter.  Try to cut off a foot or two of wires if you can so you don't have to worry about adapters.  You can strip the ends of the electrical wires to make your connections at home.

Take it home and mount it on something stable.  

Take a regular house fan (perhaps one of the large box fans) and set it up to blow on the car fan.

Now take a multitester (a digital one is probably most accurate) and see if you get power between any of the wires on the car fan (low voltage DC).  Also check between the wires on the car fan and the actual fan body as most auto equipment is negative grounded.  

Can you blow the fan both ways?  Do the + & - poles reverse when you blow it backwards?

What happens when you increase the speed of the "wind" blowing your "windmill"?

Now....  you need to figure out how to make a permanent mount for your windmill.

Perhaps find an old swivel chair around home or Goodwill (that spins very well).  If you can find one with a hollow base rather than a solid base, you would be much happier.  Maybe one with a hydrolic base that you think might be able to be drilled and drained.  Take off the wheels (so it doesn't roll away on you), and take off the seat down to the mounting bracket.

Mount your windmill to the swivel chair frame.

Now you need to point the fan into the wind.

Questions:....  Do you want to put on a fan tail?  Or do you want to do a tail-less rotor in the rear fan?

Now...

One last question...

Most of the stuff that one tends to do with wind generated power is stationary with respect to the generators.  How do you connect the wires from the windmill to something stationary?  

One option is to have separate insulated disks on the top side and the bottom side and transfer the power from the upper disk to the lower disk (perhaps using a couple of carbon contacts).  Of course, that could get pretty complicated pretty quickly and would be hard to adapt to your windmill tower that you just built.

Another option that has been highly discussed is using very flexible, resilliant wires.  If they twist up when the wind is blowing, they will tend to unwind when the wind stops.  As you are doing everything small scale.  If you have a chair with a hollow base (or one that you drilled out to be hollow, you could try stretching a phone receiver cord up the center of the chair.  I would try giving it a moderate stretch.

Ok...

Time to study Amps, Volts, and Watts.  

Watts = Amps x Volts.

Volts is a measure of the "pressure" of the power to go somewhere.

Amps is a measure of the movement of power (and will be 0 if the power is not going anywhere as one would have in an isolated battery that isn't connected to anything)

Watts is a measure of power consumption (which is a combination of Volts and Amps).

Can you combine multiple batteries and keep the voltage the same?

Can you combine multiple batteries and increase the voltage?

Should you ever connect the positive pole of one battery to the negative pole of another battery?  Why or Why not?

Assuming your windmill puts out more than 6 volts, get a few 6 volt lantern batteries to play with.  Rechargeable would be best, but not necessary.  If your windmill puts out less than 6 volts find some large rechargeable batteries (C or D cells), and find a way to connect the ends of them in different combinations.

Car batteries are not recommended.  They have far more power than you need.

Configure your batteries in two ways....  DO NOT USE HOUSE CURRENT.

#1 low voltage - so they put out less volts than your windmill.

#2 high voltage - so they put out more volts than your windmill.

Take away your windsource.

Now, connect the batteries to the windmill in 4 ways (for a few seconds each) while monitoring the fan speed and the voltmeter.  What happens?

#1 - Low voltage, + to the + output on the windmill.

#2 - Low voltage, reverse the + and minus poles.

#3 - High voltage (more than what your windmill generated), + to + output on the windmill

#4 - High voltage, reverse the + and minus poles.

Now,

Turn on your wind generator and repeat the above 4 combinations.

Once you are done, you can think of something creative to do with the energy that you generate.

Oh...  One last question...

Why did we choose a car fan to start with rather than a household electric fan?

Have fun,

Clifford

« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 07:02:44 PM by Clifford »

Gary D

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 01:48:21 PM »
As a small add on to Cliffords thoughts, why does the fan motor spin when connected to the batteries? Then try a diode or rectifier in line and see if the battery/batteries spin the fan and if not... why not. Gary D.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 01:48:21 PM by Gary D »