Author Topic: New savinous wind turbine...  (Read 1105 times)

Twistchi

New savinous wind turbine...
« on: November 04, 2005, 07:02:20 AM »
Here is a design that I think is new but have gave up on the project due too lack of time. Anyone is welcome to use it or maybe it will give you an idea for another project. It's on my website under theory #1 at http://www.geocities.com/whatifsciencedude/
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 07:02:20 AM by (unknown) »

John II

Re: New savinous wind turbine...
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 02:43:31 AM »
Hello: This is not a new idea... my father made one of these about 40 years ago.

High torque does not necessarily equal power. Torque multiplied by speed equals power.

But this flapper device might have excellent usage where higher torque and less speed applications are required. Pumping water might be one such application.

It looks like you live in an area that you could put one of those things to work : )

John II

« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 02:43:31 AM by John II »

Twistchi

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 04:48:40 AM »
I never had seen any pictures on the net about a flapper like this I made. Most of the time new idea's have already been pursued.

I live in an area where the wind is pretty much a constant thing. I have made a few turbines but I enjoyed making this one the most because it seemed so unique.

I had an idea a little while ago about sending a turbine on a kite as high as I could get it to go for better wind. Guess what? That's been thought of too. I enjoy this mostly as a hobby and am not going to believe that I will make the next 'breakthrough' advance but hope that sharing ideas, either new or old, will help somebody make that breakthrough. Great forum. Take care.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 04:48:40 AM by Twistchi »

MountainMan

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 08:50:44 AM »
First, I like your wind turbine idea.  I've had a few related designs spinning around in my gray matter for some time now, but have not built any models of them.

Mostly though, I wanted to comment on the "new idea" vs "old idea"  theme that is underlying this thread.

I view the science and creativity involved in thinking up new ideas more as an art form.

Taking an idea, whether old or new, to a point of practical application is a very different endeavor.  Many times the two become entwined, but are truly two separate activities.

You could almost compare the two to painting a canvas vs. painting a house.  Both require skill, but very different skills.

Interestingly, that metaphor tends to hold up when you move it over into the realm of society's willingness to compensate the one doing it.  Just as many artists are starving, and house painters seldom go hungry - so it has always been with ideas.  Those who provide the creativity of thinking up clever ideas are not rewarded nearly as well as those that take any idea, whether novel or not, and turn it into a functioning enterprise.

One need only look as far as the Apple iPod for a good example of this.  The guys who invented the ideas involved with putting music into a digital form and storing it temporarily in a portable music player without dragging around a tape or a CD, and moving that music around over the internet rather than going to a store to buy it...well, lets just say they were never rewarded other than by being cursed as music pirates.  Then along came Steve Jobs who took a bunch of old ideas and in the course of three or four years turned it into a howling success.  In fact, earlier this year, Apple computer became the worlds largest seller of music.  No new ideas, just a careful organization of stuff that had been around for years.

jp

« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 08:50:44 AM by MountainMan »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 11:15:37 AM »
Indeed!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 11:15:37 AM by TomW »