Author Topic: Help with Windings  (Read 770 times)

christopher

Help with Windings
« on: November 10, 2005, 12:25:56 AM »
Some may remember my postings from September about my small motor conversion, where I was having trouble with my chain drive and had decided to direct drive with a 5' prop hoping it would compensate for the 20% rpm increase from the 6' prop with the chain drive.  It did work but would stall at about 170 watts, so I decided to reuse my 6' prop after cutting down the root as much as I dared to lighten it up.  I found that my cut-in speed was way too high and would only get output in small storms, so I tried it into 6 volts and find that it does very well in light winds, in fact over the past two weeks, have never seen it below 2 amps and normally at 15 amps in a 12 mph wind.  I have seen 22 amps but no idea at what point it will stall, (or if it will), for my winds have been fairly light up to this point.  But I am very satisfied with the output in these low winds.  Very low rpm on the prop and very silent.  Now for my ???  If I want to rewind this for 12 volt, leaving everything the same, if I increase my windings from their present 12 per coil to 24 per coil, but at half the size wire, what effect will this have on prop speed and output because of the higher resistence (half the diameter wire, twice as long)?  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Christopher
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 12:25:56 AM by (unknown) »

adelaide

Re: Help with Windings
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 08:10:38 PM »
wonder if u could first try planing the mounting point of  blades a bit to get less angle all the way will increase the rpm but prob decrese the start up i get good speed out few of mine that dont have any angle at tip cos airafiol shape makes up for it, is it facing directil straight may help as well is a furling system/cut top off tree /higher ,sorry bout spelling
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 08:10:38 PM by adelaide »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Help with Windings
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 01:04:42 AM »
Yes double the turns with wire of half cross sectional area (not diameter).

With the N American wire sizes I think this means going up three numbers. If you have #14 now you go up to #17.

Performance should be similar in terms of Watts, you will get half the current at 12v.

Flux

« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 01:04:42 AM by Flux »