Author Topic: wire to wire  (Read 770 times)

para t8

wire to wire
« on: December 22, 2005, 07:24:19 PM »
from my batt.bank to my tower im going to use #6wire,from ground up three strands of #8,is there a reducer or a fuseable link in there somewhere?ive been reading alot about the wind and the power you can get from it,maybe i havent read enough.but can someone give some feedback?         para t8
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 07:24:19 PM by (unknown) »

electronbaby

• Windsine.org
Re: wire to wire
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 12:54:55 PM »
hey Para,

There should definately be a fuse in the system. It should definately be placed at the battery bank, in the DC lines (after the rectifier). Usually you fuse to the + batt buss bar. It wouldnt be a bad idea to fuse both + and -. This prevents any shorts in the turbine feeder cable from melting your batt bank down and your feeder cable, if there is a fault in the rectifier. Make sure the fuse is of a higher Ampere rating that your turbine will make. If the turbine output (real windy out!) blows the fuse and not a short, the turbine will over speed and you probably will have another mess on your hands. On the same note, if the turbine feeder cables short before the rectifier, you will not melt anything (hopefully) because the feeder cable fuse (or breaker) place at the batt + buss bar will  effectively be after the rectifier, and immune from any short circuits as far as heavy DC current is concerned. If the feeder cables short before the rectifier, the turbine will pretty much shut itself down (same as shorting out the phases.  :-)

Hope that makes sense :-)

Have fun!!

RoyR

KB2UHF

« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 12:54:55 PM by electronbaby »
Have Fun!!!  RoyR KB2UHF

para t8

Re: wire to wire
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 01:06:20 PM »
question,could a wind genn.cause interpherince with tv,tele,or other houses around me,the site is about 100'from my house but much ferther from the other houses.10'machine.just woundering.            para t8
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 01:06:20 PM by para t8 »