Author Topic: GrassHopper Need Help from The Masters  (Read 6476 times)

Waterfront

Re: GrassHopper Need Help from The Masters
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2006, 07:38:40 PM »
That 100 turn of 14 gauge was for 12 coils, 16 magnets, since your not doing that anymore:

Number of coils = Number of magnets X 0.75 (to get a 3 phase setup). So that gives us 32 X 0.75 = 24 coils. Each phase will consist of 8 coils. You can number your coils with 1/2/3/1/2/3/1/2/3 and so on, every 1 goes together, every 2 goes together, and every 3 goes together. You can connect them in series or in parallel, depending on your needs for voltage versus amps. Now, as far as number of coils and thickness of wire, I can't really say, because I haven't had much experience with 32 poles dual magnet rotors (how much voltage an rpm will produce) So, you'll need to do some tests on that once you get your alternators ready.

Flux explains how to figure alternator output and stator losses quite well in his reply to my posting here http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2005/12/15/223045/99

What I can tell you is, I'd keep the center hole equal to the magnet face, the coil thickness (the legs) will probably end up being optimal at 3/4", and as far as stator thickness goes, I'd shoot for 1/2", it seems to work good with those magnets.

Given that space, as far as number of turns/thickness of wire goes, well, VAWTs aren't exactly know for their high rpms, so, chances are yours will spend most of it's time in a low rpm state. You should therefore optimize your setup by choosing a bit lower cut-in then HAWTs have (so more turns of thinner wire). It would prove to be quite inefficient at higher rpms, but since your not operating at TSR 6-8, and you won't be hitting 500 rpms, you should be allright. (Unless it's a SUPER VAWT, lol...)

Keep us updated!

« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 07:38:40 PM by Waterfront »

Waterfront

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2006, 07:51:54 PM »
«If this thing doesn't work  It will still going to be a good looking piece of yard ART»

I'd have some more faith, unless you brutally massacre the alternator construction, that alt should be pretty good at producing usable power at low rpms. What I'd worry about is your VAWT blades not being able to pick up enough energy from the wind to turn it. But, reading on how big you want the blades to be, you should be allright. Plus, if you optimize it for low rpm operations, I'd say you should be looking at quite a decent amount of power.

Although, with that big of a VAWT tower, if it comes crashing down, it probably won't make suitable yard ART, hehehe :)

« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 07:51:54 PM by Waterfront »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2006, 06:04:46 AM »

I see . The lower section can be put into operation and the remaining turbins can be added as time allows .
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 06:04:46 AM by tecker »

healerenergy

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2006, 01:12:38 AM »
Well Kansas VAWT people sorry I'm late an hour north of  KC here working on a 30' H rotor design with govener.  I have been collecting used parts for a while  my thrust bearing is from a 65 ton crane hook.  I also have a thrust bearing from a 3 ton hook for a scale version.  Just about got a tower design for a six legged tower with pipe and angle iron.  I can get seconds on pipe at a local pipe manufacturer so if all goes well should not be to long before I can start building something.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 01:12:38 AM by healerenergy »