Author Topic: Enhanced Turbine Power Output Calculator  (Read 2286 times)

wind4Reg

Enhanced Turbine Power Output Calculator
« on: January 20, 2006, 04:48:04 PM »
I have updated the former H-Rotor calculator into just a Rotor calculator. Now you can select from H-Rotor, Conventional HAWT (propeller), and the eggbeater style.

I also added the betz limit to the efficiencies list for those with perfect rotors no bearing losses, generator losses etc, and added a link on the page to show how the calculations are done since this was a common question.

I will keep the link alive from the previous posting for a while, but I did change the filename to reflect that this covers more than just H-Rotors now. Here is the link:

Rotor Power Output Calculator

I still haven't added the Savonius type yet because I haven't looked for the necessary calculations yet. If anyone has them for Savonius type, post a reply with them.

wind4Reg

« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 04:48:04 PM by (unknown) »

willib

• SuperHero Member
Re: Enhanced Turbine Power Output Calculator
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 02:01:06 PM »
just checked out your site , youre hooked lol

I built a cycloturbine like windstuff Eds last winter, does yous have a problem starting up ?

because i see you have no mechinism to keep the blades turned into the wind?

it make it a bit more complicated but it might be worth looking into.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 02:01:06 PM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

wind4Reg

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 02:16:59 PM »
Hi willib, your right, I am hooked, I kick myself now for not experimenting 10 years ago when I first got interested, I could have a complete system now. Oh well. The H-Rotor turbine on my site self started reliably with very little wind. It was before I had anything to measure the windspeed with but I would guess it was starting in approximately 3 m/s winds.

In my location a cycloturbine really doesn't make sense because we get a lot of freezing rain and I really wouldn't want to have to climb the tower all the time to chip the ice off extra mechanisms. The cycloturbine might have a slight edge in efficiency over a fixed blade unit, but if the blades are designed properly on a fixed unit it will self start without the complexity of a cycloturbine. For me simple is good, it means less things to go wrong and less things to fix. For the past 2 days here we have had windspeeds 45 - 60 km/h with gusts up to 100 km/h (60mph), I think I was self-starting myself in those winds ;-)

wind4Reg

« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 02:16:59 PM by wind4Reg »

spinner

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 09:52:20 AM »
had a look into your page on the turbines...great!

know what you mean about pleasure in watching and experimenting..always had a yen to build one of those too

same deal for my dual helix: finally just hadda build one *hehe

spinner
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 09:52:20 AM by spinner »

vawtman

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 10:36:01 AM »
Wind4reg where are you located.Im in Wisconsin.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 10:36:01 AM by vawtman »

wind4Reg

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 06:29:51 AM »
Hi vawtman, I am in the province of New Brunswick, Canada, that is right above the state of Maine. I am a little over a mile inland from the Bay of Fundy, I can see the bay when I am on the roof of my house.

wind4Reg

« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 06:29:51 AM by wind4Reg »