Author Topic: Rutland yaw bearing question  (Read 1551 times)

EMF

Rutland yaw bearing question
« on: January 23, 2006, 07:26:05 AM »
Hi All. I'm new here.

I have an old Rutland FM910.  I think it's time for some new yaw bearings as it has a good deal of play.  I replaced the main bearings previously.

The yaw assembly looks like this...

There is a clip just under the slip rings but I can't see how to remove the rings in order to slide out the shaft.  Yes I did try removing that bolt but don't want to get too forcefull in case it busts.  Any ideas?

Also the blades and magnet housing seems to have the surface wearing off and has fiber glass coming out (very prickely) can it be painted, doped or what?

Have looked in here before but never posted.  Some great stuff I must say.  I'v also got hold of some smartdrive motors but that's for another day.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 07:26:05 AM by (unknown) »

Corbie

Re: Rutland yaw bearing question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 01:26:37 AM »
Hi, I just replaced the bearings on my mark I 910 a couple of months back. You need to heat the shaft to break the loctite seal on the slip ring. I e-mailed Marlec and they were really helpful and happily supplied a maintenance manual in PDF format FOC. They also supplied the replacement bearings at a good price and they were delivered next day (OK I am in the UK)

As regards the surface wear on your blades and housing, I just cleaned them up with brasso and resprayed with plasticote. I dont know if it is recommended, but it worked fine for me!

Good luck with your maintenance

Corbie
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 01:26:37 AM by Corbie »

EMF

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 04:06:12 PM »
Thanks for that Corbie.  It sounds like there is hope for the old machine yet :-).  I got the main bearings localy and they wern't to costly and were readily available so hopefuly these will be the same.

I'll have to look into this plasticote and see if we have it here in Australia.

I'd love a copy of the PDF so may try and email.

Thanks

EMF

« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 04:06:12 PM by EMF »

EMF

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 06:49:30 PM »
Well I got the slip rings off with a puller and a washer cut into a "C" shape.  The unit is all together again however in puting it up I had a slight misshap and.... Um it came down :( . I have a spare blade somewhere and I'm going to need to find it :oops:  A bit of panel beating will also be required ;(.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 06:49:30 PM by EMF »