Author Topic: airplane props  (Read 2470 times)

wild01

airplane props
« on: March 24, 2006, 07:30:22 PM »
has anyone experemented with using old wooden airplane propellers as gen blades, I noticed a few on ebay and elsewhere selling for 130-200 for 70-80 inch dia. wondering if they would be a worth while investment. also anyone ever dealt with these guys http//www.windgenzen.com

thanx any info/help would be apreciated.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 07:30:22 PM by (unknown) »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: airplane props
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 12:49:00 PM »
No.

Props are designed for 100 times more power loading than the same size wind genny.

Too much solidity.

The pitch of the blades is too steep.

If you tried one, it would turn, but verrry slowly.  Like, TSR = 2 (unloaded).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 12:49:00 PM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 12:50:03 PM »
Helicopter blades, though, there might be some opportunity there...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 12:50:03 PM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

wild01

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 01:05:26 PM »
thanx like I said new to all this
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 01:05:26 PM by wild01 »

whatsnext

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 02:31:42 PM »
That and the airfoil is facing he wrong way. You want the flat side to face the wind and if you do that with an airplane prop it spins the wrong way.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 02:31:42 PM by whatsnext »

helowrench

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 06:05:46 PM »
I have some timed out tail rotor blades I am itching to try.

6 inch chord 2 ft blade.........................
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 06:05:46 PM by helowrench »

rotornuts

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 06:25:01 PM »
timed out tail rotors should woork great. Likely something like a NACA 0012.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 06:25:01 PM by rotornuts »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 06:25:38 PM »
I've always wanted to try the tail rotor blades from a 206, myself.  Keep the whole gearbox, drivetrain and pitch control assembly.  Then you could run the whole thing up a 20-foot tower and put the alternator at the base.

In fact, why not just un-bolt the whole tailboom off the heli, and then attach it to a turn-table on the ground?  I've always thought that would have an amusing and artistic flair.  This would work from either a Bell, Hughes, Aerospatiale, or a Robinson, whatever wreck happens to be handy.  Make a neat conversation piece in the front yard.  And if it produces useful electricity, then even better!  :)

« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 06:25:38 PM by SparWeb »
www.sparweb.ca

helowrench

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 06:40:51 PM »
I have a total of 4 t/r blades from a BK117 which have a rigid mounting system unike the 206 blades which have feathering bearings in the blade. I do have access to timed out 206 t/r blades also, and may do something with them in the future if i decide to graduate from a fixed pitch arrangement to a variable pitch setup.

Right now I am spending hours and hours searching through old posts reading and studying the many different styles and am currently hung up on the BIG decision----

HAWT or VAWT

I see many different pro's and con's for each.

My first GEN will be an off the shelf VW bug gen with it's associated voltage reg.

Not sexy but cheap bulletproof and I think I have 3 or 4 on hand.

transitioning back into lurk mode.

Rob

« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 06:40:51 PM by helowrench »

JohnC

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 07:10:00 PM »
Plane props pull, mill rotors pull.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 07:10:00 PM by JohnC »

Titantornado

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 07:29:57 PM »
I had posted this before, but what the heck, here it is again.

Different animals altogether.

I have considered gyroplane rotors though.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 07:29:57 PM by Titantornado »

helowrench

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 07:58:09 PM »
helicopter tail rotor blades are designed to either push or pull.

Rob

« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 07:58:09 PM by helowrench »

Ed Holt

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2006, 10:04:38 AM »
I guess I am not getting it from this picture.  A fellow at work who is a pilot said there shouldn't be much difference between a plane prop and a windmill prop except for the pitch and from the picture I don't see a differnce other than the blade is flipped end for end.  Where does the blade pivot around the axis and which way does the wind come out of the top blade?  Thanks and sorry for being so dense, I just don't understand.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 10:04:38 AM by Ed Holt »

whatsnext

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2006, 11:00:33 AM »
Your pilot friend probably has never seen a windmill prop. If you use an airplane prop it will spin backwards with the trailing edge becoming the leading edge and of course the 'cup' would be all wrong. I'm sure it would work just not well. Go to a hobby store and spend $1 on a little balsa rubber powered plane. If you still can't figure out what we are saying after playing with it for a bit come back and ask away.

John...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 11:00:33 AM by whatsnext »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2006, 11:11:38 AM »
Ed;

I think what you may be missing here is that picture is of the profile not the outline. The graphic shows what the end after a crosscut thru the prop would look like.

Just trying to clarify a bit.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 11:11:38 AM by TomW »

Ireland

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2006, 04:11:00 PM »
Yep I dealt with Craig from http//www.windgenzen.com. Bought some blades and a gen. Ordered them in June, paid in July got blades in November. Took a while (5 months) to get them and had lots of communication/delay/chasing/manufacturing issues but the blades were beautiful and well made when they came, almost worth the wait ;-).

He was also meant to ship me a 7inch dc motor gen which he initially forgot and apparently is now out of stock. Asked for my cash back as in three months I will be waiting a year for it, no joy yet. I'm sure he is Kosher enough but not really capable in a business capacity. (Sorry if you are reading this Craig!)

So yes his stuff is good, but make sure you organise some sort of cash on delivery mechanism that keeps both parties comitted!

T
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 04:11:00 PM by Ireland »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2006, 12:23:43 PM »
"helicopter tail rotor blades are designed to either push or pull."

And the airfoil is usually a symetrical shape, like the NACA 0012.  Helowrench, have you noticed, like me, that the constant-chord on most main-rotor blades would be suitable for a VAWT, if you cut off the root attachment points?  I know from Hueys that the main blades have a twist to them, but don't let that daunt you.  The twist may even be helpful, if you get down to the detailed analysis.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 12:23:43 PM by SparWeb »
www.sparweb.ca

jimovonz

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2006, 01:17:37 PM »
Here are some helicopter rotor blades that I am slowly making progress with in a HAWT. If I ever get time I would like to get another set and attempt a VAWT as well...

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2004/11/29/1450/7742
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 01:17:37 PM by jimovonz »

kckclass

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2006, 10:57:00 AM »
Hi Anthony, Craig here - the guy who sold you those props and I really appreciate the fact that you said 'Nice stuff' - we try hard and as you know (and those who make them know) hand carving two 10 foot props, 3 blades each, and the five footer you ordered takes time. As our website says - 3-5 weeks for the 6 and 7 footers, so a 10, unless we you want an airfoil profile that is not tuned to your location, can take 2 months. You received two of them - that's four months...and a 5 footer...that just about works out to the 5 month wait you experienced and is normal for custom carved props.

I do apologize about the $50 ametek, they were out of stock on the larger one (7 inch) and since you got the 2nd 10 foot prop free, a $750 piece of gear, I really didn't think this was going to be a problem - you made $700.00 on that deal.

We try hard when a customer wants gear that is out of stock to either look elsewhere, or offer free gear that is much more valuable than what they paid. In your case it was a $700 profitable transaction. And so I have to ask myself - if I spent $50.00 and receive $750 in gear, would I be unhappy?

In over 300 blades, with zero returns, hundreds of happy feedback posts, while we aren't perfect, we can't control stock on items such as ameteks and don't even carry them anymore due to exactly this problem - global stock varies and is tight on those gens these days due to the increase in demand for wind power....that's a good thing and I am sorry we couldn't get it for you...but my friend...we took care of you with a freebie that no company on Earth would have sent you...that is why we have page after page of great feedback. We take care of our customers like family.

I am not going to drag this out and hope you understand it's done, over, from an ethical standpoint, we delivered, within the time frames we state at the website.

That 10 footer you got free was destined for Canada and they had to wait another month as a result. They were understanding and patient and we sent them a free blade for the wait. That's how we do business when folks stay cool.

While our blades do grow on trees, they aren't shaped quite right for wind power until we get our hands on them...and that process takes time...sorry for the delays, but Time recently ran an article on wind and solar - the industry across the board is back ordered...it is exploding...and that is also a good thing.

Take care.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 10:57:00 AM by kckclass »

Ireland

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2006, 04:01:53 AM »
Hi Craig,

I apologise for any comments that may have annoyed you. I have always found you pleasant to deal with and you make very, very good stuff. Your mahogany blades were so nice I found it a shame to put them outside, they were good enough to mount as a cool feature inside!

I have to be honest in that I did find it difficult to do business with you, but you did send me an extra set of blades for the long wait which I really appreciate. I accept that what I ordered was custom made and maybe I should be more understanding in general.

Possibly I am getting cantankerous in my old age, or because I'm a European, so anyone reading this please make up your own minds.

Regards,

Tony
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 04:01:53 AM by Ireland »