Author Topic: 1.5kva Motor Question!  (Read 1596 times)

clothahump

1.5kva Motor Question!
« on: April 20, 2006, 05:35:37 PM »

I have got an old blower that has a good 1.5kva motor on it which has hardly been used since a major refurb, is it possible to use this to generate electricity?

« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 05:35:37 PM by (unknown) »

nanotech

Re: 1.5kva Motor Question!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 01:19:11 PM »
* wiats for the MASSIVE post by Zubbly *

Yes, it can be done, but requires some reworking.  For one thing, most generators that we deal with here are of the PMG (Permenant Magnet Generator) variety.  Most motors use electricity to generate the magnetism in both the stator AND the rotor.

So generally what has been done around these parts is to rewire the the stator so it is on its own and mount magnets on the rotor.

I'd write more, but I'm on my way out the door to work  :(

« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 01:19:11 PM by nanotech »

clothahump

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 01:28:57 PM »

Thanks for replying.

I think I understand what you mean, probably best to split the casing and have a look inside then.

Is it remotely possible that there are permanent magnets inside?

« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 01:28:57 PM by clothahump »

drdongle

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 02:01:29 PM »
Highly unlikely. The usual procedure is to remove the Armature and turn it down in a lathe, then mount permanent magnets on it, you have several options for this. Check the archive of articles here for examples and details.

Nothing To Lose has some nice curved magnets for sale.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 02:01:29 PM by drdongle »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 02:30:39 PM »
Normally, for AC motors:

- The stator will be wound with coils that are driven by the power line (sometimes with the aid of capacitors) to produce a rotating or just reversing field.

- The rotor will have internal coils that aren't directly connected to anything, but instead use currents induced by the fields of the stator and the rotor's "slippage" with respect to their alternation to induce currents in its own windings, "trapping" the rotating field and dragging the rotor along with it.

A typical conversion consists of replacing the laminate-and-heavy-bus-bar rotor with a magnet assembly - a total replacement, reusing just the shaft, or (typically, because it's less work and cheap) cutting off the outer part of the old rotor in a lathe, using the middle part as an iron core and mounting magnets on it (as was already pointed out).  You'll find designs here for doing that several ways, the commonest being using epoxy to pot in bar or curved sector magnets, or fitting an aluminum sleeve over the cut-down rotor, with holes in the sleeve where round magnets are mounted.

Depending on the voltage you want, the magnets you can get, what voltage the motor was wound for, and what you're using to turn it, you might be able to use the stator as-is, or you might need to tear out the old coils and substitute new ones, with different wire thickness and number of turns, and/or perhaps wound for a different number of poles.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 02:30:39 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

zubbly

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 02:33:36 PM »
hello clothahump!

most motors can be done to some degree.  can you come back with the complete name plate information?  would be a great way to start  :)

zubbly

« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 02:33:36 PM by zubbly »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 02:34:59 PM »
Strange timing.

I did this one this morning, sent this photo to my 9 year old niece, Katie. She's making a windmill for LEDs.

This one is rated 60W, and will use 32, 1/2" x 1/8" magnets, in groups of 8.

With only 8 magnets, 2 per pole, it makes about 0.3A shorted, 9VDC open, by hand spinning.

It's not hard, except for changing the wiring around in a small one, or replacing the wire in one.

Got about an hour in it so far. I could have this flying, Mickey-Moused but charging batteries, with 3 more hours.

G-

PS- Remember the text is for a 9 year old.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 02:34:59 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

clothahump

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 04:37:41 PM »

The motor is down at the farm a few miles away but I think it was a Crompton. 240 Volts. 1.5kva. I think thats all there was on the plate.

I am considering building something to power the whole house, maybe supplemented with Solar.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 04:37:41 PM by clothahump »

zubbly

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 05:55:33 PM »
hi clothahump,

crompton was a great motor. still not much info though.

only way i can help now id for you to take some pics if you can.  take it apart and get some good closeups of the winding.  some rotor and stator measurments would help also.

zubbly

« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 05:55:33 PM by zubbly »

vawtman

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 06:31:09 PM »
 I think we all started with big plans for our systems.Just because you found a motor doesnt mean you can power your house by throwing something in the air.Lots of learning needed.Been there and still there but having fun.Not simple.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 06:31:09 PM by vawtman »

clothahump

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006, 04:46:50 PM »
I realise that, dont really need to be told.

I will get the motor stripped out and see whats what.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 04:46:50 PM by clothahump »

vawtman

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 05:33:24 PM »
Clothahump,

if the motor is old and the plate is missing you could pull the rotor and send a

pic if you can.

dont strip the windings yet.

the lower rated rpms the better.

sorry if i offended you with my previous comment its not easy designing blades around conversions.Good luck
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 05:33:24 PM by vawtman »