Author Topic: cluched new mill 2 x f/ps  (Read 966 times)

adelaide

cluched new mill 2 x f/ps
« on: April 30, 2006, 01:15:05 AM »

Still got to paint the blades, make bigger hub extensions , a guard over  the belt  and adjust the clutch cut in pot, my most advanced mill named after bobn R.I.P.

It has a 100 s delta (lo cut in low amps 14amps  at 12 v for lo wind around 60% efficient) on a direct drive shaft which uses flat belt on a  grooved magnetic ring it has a 2 to 1 ratio to a car air conditioning clutch on the front of the other f/p 80p series (hi cut in 42 + amps around 90 % efficient minus belt loss for hi wind) , with spring tension on pivot. On a 3 inch pole with a smaller square tube inside and bolt through it to support the sealed Bearing (like a car tire on a roundabout) riding on a 3 inch pole /yaw.

It has 2 , 3phase rectifiers and a single 1 phase  rectifier to power the clutch from the direct drive alt. it simply goes through a pot to a capacitor ( to stop the bounce )and then to a super low current relay, To switch the 2 amps to the clutch and engage the second alternator,  In hi wind.

It has been tested by hand spinning and  so far once erected  no wind (first rule applies).

The prop is made out of heavier pallet timber for the blades they are thicker than they looks at the hub, glued and screwed to the plywood hub at front.

It has furling and electric brake (short all phases on direct drive alt so far), need to include bottom alternator and clutch override on the timer . Any ideas at all ? A timer /simple so  it does not leave 2 amps going to bottom alternator but is used to stop and then turn off..

The change over or brake circuit needs to be a relay / capacitor type device . (read cheap here)

A small bit of advise to those of you that are thinking of using an F/P motor. It is important to tie the lock down nut to the rear of the rotor as it has a chance of unwinding under certain circumstances.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 01:15:05 AM by (unknown) »

whirlybird

Re: cluched new mill 2 x f/ps
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 07:27:03 PM »

Well let me be the first to congratulate you on what appears to be a real beut idea

Keep old Bobn spinning he would have loved this stuff

It is interesting to see that you are doing all this without the intervention of microchips and are useing simple relay logic to achieve the desired results  It is the ultimate application of the KISS rule

Have fun,

Regards,

Whirlybird.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 07:27:03 PM by whirlybird »

coldspot

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 10:02:42 PM »
O.......!!!!!

Please post more pictures

Close-up's of the front and rear with side views also.....

Thats what I like to see...

PS: If it wasn't done the "Hard Way", I was never involved!!!

:)

« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 10:02:42 PM by coldspot »
$0.02

adelaide

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 08:22:33 PM »
hi few closer pics 1/2 done.Have added the lager hub bits and need to modify the cut in clutch to be bit later as pot is not enuf adjustment

« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 08:22:33 PM by adelaide »

domwild

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 08:54:28 PM »
Adelaide,

Interesting setup! Thanks for that. When I bitched about the F&P cogging the aircon clutch solution was suggested but knocked back because of the high Amp draw by one contributor. Doesn't the power loss hurt??

Michael Lawley of ecoinnovation fame has ruled out twin F&P solutions as a single F&P can also be spun up fast enough to give one kW (10 ' prop, 1200 RPM I believe) but it is good to see someone experimenting with twin F&Ps. So no criticism is intended!

Will save away your contribution and digest it in peace.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 08:54:28 PM by domwild »

adelaide

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 10:18:50 PM »
yes the clutch has losses( 2 to 3 a) but is not used in lo wind at all it uses the direct drive till enuf wind then switches on the 2 to 1 geared more economical alt to make more power and able to start ( tapped around the clutch and it didn't start in lower wind ), is a trade off and the start of that is 12 foot prop so got bit to lose .

wow would like to see a 10 foot prop doing 1200? rpm from a distance hahah.

another way could be done is jack screw set up on v belt to move it closer to start and tighten after start , another option is to move the magnetic hub on and off stator by prop push back force or motor/ weights etc. is not needed direct drive if u make biggg hub extensions like i have on other 4 mills

think a 100 p can make 112 amps 12 v charging not shore if that is series or delta and around 1500rpm  so if was series u could Nealy get 2 kw out 100 p delta close to 2000 rpm ,good if some 1 could try that.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 10:18:50 PM by adelaide »