Author Topic: Diagonal axis wind turbine.  (Read 4624 times)

MaxT

Diagonal axis wind turbine.
« on: May 01, 2006, 06:22:57 PM »
I wanted to stuff everything possible, all the good features of grabbing the power from the wind, that I could come up with... into a simple, rigid "blade" design. I am partial to turbines that are planned to not to maximize rotation speed, but the amount of wind " caught ". So, This design I call " Wind Yoni " .

It should align itself to the wind properly, form a straight " wall " of sail to catch the wind. It should also form a propeller blade, with wing-type lift fx when returning diagonally towards the wind. If the " solid wall of sail " side is covered, it should still keep rotating diagonally towards the wind ( with much less efficiency, but rotating nonetheless )... so that the wings / blades should not form any " resistance " to rotation at any point.

I myself can't really make up my mind ( as I have not tested them any, yet ) whether to consider them useful additions to wind turbine-technologies... or just colourful environmental art with inferior energy production.

" The Wind Yoni " name comes from the odd and freaky looking shape, that reminds me of Jim Woondring's depictions of " Yonis " that seem to float low in the sky in his magazine " Frank ". Also because Yoni's generate something into world, instead of just turning expensive stuffs into noise, destruction and noxious fumes. Also because I wanted to name it something as non-phallic as possible.

The one with 4 coloured sails / blades is here just to show the concept more clearly. It seems to me that 4 is actually 2 too much, as the sails might easily get too close to each other and create non-usefull pressures ( to wrong directions ), and they might just end up being on each other's way, blocking each other from the wind.

The one with wind coming directly from the viewer is earlier, but good enough prototype, depicting the form of the wings / sails / blades from that direction. Main difference to the wheeled one with the wind-energy logo, is that it is almost 2 x as tall vertically... and lacks the " downward wing-profile " curves at the top.

Also worth noticing is the supa-cool wind energy logo design in the blue triangular piece of sail ( That sail is not neccessary there, but probably does some good there anyway, as there was empty triangular area in the structure ).

One with the wheels and logo... if it works it might be possible, to attach these on a top of a tall pole on a similar mechanisms, without any wheels. This might require much strenghtening and anti-bending measures ( Something like in the Hanging Bridges ), and might get overtly complicated and high tech ( in materials ) for world locations with only very basic resources and materials. Hmm, perhaps a tower with many tiers of these... ( or would that be spectacular collapsing waiting to happen ).

About the Copyright Freeware statements: In case that these are old inventions... then ( and only then ) these copyrights mean only these pictures, not the depicted techniques and technologies. Otherwise I stand by them, free for all, logo, the designs, technologies, ideas ( Shame on on people who try copyright Ideas and Concepts, away from the rest of the humanity ), images, etc. for print, production, building, etc. . In short: Freedom to use, but not " freedom " to claim as owned, or for patents etc. not " freedom " to limit others form using, applying and modifying these. The wording is a bit complicated because some USA courts have already sued people for using freeware products / stuff on the claim that " Freeware may only be used if it is specifically designated to the very person using it ". Since fitting 6+ billion names here is not very feasible, I used the wording as it currently is. There is also official Freeware definition, which I am not challenging here, just adding the " For all and each " legalese.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 06:22:57 PM by (unknown) »

Slingshot

Re: Diagonal axis wind turbine.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 01:26:48 PM »
Max,

You're one fine sketch artist!

« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 01:26:48 PM by Slingshot »

Phil Timmons

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 02:21:26 PM »
At first glance it sort of reminds me of early steam ship "screw" propellors.

I think I recall that was for a (relatively) high torque, and (relatively) low rotation speed application.  

I suppose that is analogous to a wind application?  If so, you may wish to see what you can find on old propellor design.

I guess if I were inclined to try this, it would be to skip the math and jump into a scale model with some sheet aluminum or roofing tin, and see what some different twists and approaches gave for results.  Sort of seems a hacker approach, but some days, that is the way things are. :)

« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 02:21:26 PM by Phil Timmons »

whatsnext

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 03:39:16 PM »
I agree. Nothing relaxed me more than tinkering with <1 TRS tilted vawts.

John
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 03:39:16 PM by whatsnext »

powerbuoy

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 06:07:53 PM »
I saw some years ago a design that looked like the scetch ... I believe that they called it a wind rose. I doubt that the "Archimedes screw" is the right concept for wind energy (highlighting Energy/Power), it'll probably be more a nice optical device for parks, malls or similar.

Powerbuoy

« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 06:07:53 PM by powerbuoy »

MaxT

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 06:20:46 PM »
I have done enough " theoretical calculations " while drawing these... Indeed I plan do some tiny test versions as soon as possible. Though I'm not sure of the materials yet, I innately dislike the heavier and "tech" of the metals in such applications... Wood is going to be somewhat difficult for the odd shapes in small scale... hardened leather could be workable, but hard to come by.... Steel wire bent on shape, with surfaces from plastic bags... perhaps.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 06:20:46 PM by MaxT »

MaxT

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 06:37:55 PM »
At least I can't find anything like this. No diagonal axis stuff that could locate. Various screw type, long propellers.... but nothing with this idea... thus far.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 06:37:55 PM by MaxT »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 06:40:01 PM »
  Devinci gona rollover
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 06:40:01 PM by tecker »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 06:43:59 PM »
tecker;

I knew I had seen that before. His "helicopter" flying machine.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 06:43:59 PM by TomW »

MaxT

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 07:01:41 PM »
Wind Rose seems to be a circular scale, used to measure the wind directions, and such, nothing concrete.

You seem to have missed the key points in this " Wind Yoni ". It is not a relative, of Archimedes' screw in it's function ( or a quite distant one at best ). This " Wind Yoni " would only lose in effect if more layers of twists were added to it. relative to wind, first this is a vertical sail, like 90 degrees wall for wind to push (with small curving to catch this wind, at the to end). Then, as it moves around it's diagonal axis ( Diagonal. This is always Diagonal towards the wind, it never points into the wind. ), it turns into... upside down wing that will create higher wind pressure on the up side... and decreased pressure on the lower side ( as that " wind pouch " now acts as a wing-profile pointing directly towards the wind ). By being diagonal it enables the rigid "blades" to constantly change shape ( in a desired and purposeful way )relative to wind.

But otherwise, whether it is actually useful in electricity / power or not... It could make nice and colourful thingy... perhaps even more so if made somewhat transparent but colourful materials... hmm.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 07:01:41 PM by MaxT »

MaxT

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 07:06:08 PM »
Nnou. This is Diagonal to the wind. This is not airscrew.

If you put Davinci's airscrew on such diagonal mounting, pointing towards wind.... It will not work anything like this, those smaller layers would block most of the fx. Do I really draw that confusingly ? ( Do not answer that question please ).

« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 07:06:08 PM by MaxT »

powerbuoy

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 07:18:03 PM »
ha ha ... mabe it did indeed elude me ... nevertheless, good luck with the construction. nothings more powerfull than the free spirit.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 07:18:03 PM by powerbuoy »

coldspot

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 09:27:11 PM »
WOW

:)

You're one fine artist

build it

maybe a wire frame then use RC aircraft covering

shrink to fit with heat, (monocoat)

ha

I even picked up some garage door slide to side type

wheels on a pipe from trashed old door last week.

:)

« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 09:27:11 PM by coldspot »
$0.02

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2006, 03:01:11 PM »
WOW

What a neat Idea

sometimes this place surprises me with the new Design Ideas.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 03:01:11 PM by wooferhound »

MaxT

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 06:32:42 AM »
I mean enough calculations * for a while *, Inventing and planning new ideas for technological solutions is actually much fun... Just need pause in that so that my brain does not " melt ".
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 06:32:42 AM by MaxT »

reinoud

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2006, 04:05:01 PM »
A friend of mine's favorite material for such experiments is metal mesh or chicken-wire (0.5 inch?) and use plastic bags to cover it attaching it with duct-tape. For strength he sometimes hems the edges a bit and uses otherwise cheap stuff like small drainage pipes and the likes.

Happy `hacking'/experimenting!

« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 04:05:01 PM by reinoud »

MaxT

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2006, 07:50:06 AM »
I like my sketches too... but they turned out to be a bit unclear on the subject matter it seems, so the clarifications to thingy in question are in my diary:

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2006/5/12/134533/333

« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 07:50:06 AM by MaxT »

MaxT

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2006, 07:57:26 AM »
And be thanked for that comment... seems that my sketches were too sketchy, and messy (not a bad scanner was to blame, but me forgetting how the bitmap software works).

Anyways, the precise diagrams, this time with computers and accuracy, have been added to my diary, for easy copying, printing (and enlarging) and clarity (Well it's "clear" to me anyways...)

« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 07:57:26 AM by MaxT »

MaxT

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2006, 07:59:05 AM »
Sorry about the messy and fumbled pictures. Proper diagrams and specs are now at:

« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 07:59:05 AM by MaxT »