Author Topic: Operation with magnets  (Read 1308 times)

Rufat

Operation with magnets
« on: May 04, 2006, 03:40:36 AM »
Because I am beginner in this field of energetics I have a question that would look somewhat dilettantish. I got a stack of Nd magnets sticked to each other and tried to separate one of them. As it turned out this is not so easy with hand. Can I use any tool like chisel or not ? may anyone share with own experience? Thank you.  
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 03:40:36 AM by (unknown) »

harrie

Re: Operation with magnets
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 09:56:30 PM »
Hi Rufat. You didnt say how big they are, but I find the easy way to do it is put the stack against the flat edge of a table or work bench, and slide the top one off on to the top of the bench. I wouldnt recommend using any metal tool or you will damage the coating on the mags, and of course they will attract the tool. It takes alot of pushing to slide them off the others, but it will work.

Great fun, Harrie

« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 09:56:30 PM by harrie »

Rufat

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 11:01:21 PM »
Thank you Harrie

Actually, size is 2"x1"x0.5" grade N50, very strong.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 11:01:21 PM by Rufat »

nanotech

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 12:39:55 AM »
Yup, the only way to separate magnets safely that I've found is to slide them off.  Trying to pry them is a very risky business that can involve pinched fingers and shattered magnets.

Never had a problem sliding them.....
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 12:39:55 AM by nanotech »

henjulfox

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 06:55:47 AM »
Don't use a chisel! Don't use a STEEL chisel. Don't let anything steel with a sharp edge get anywhere near the magnets. I got too close to a 3/8 nut when I was holding magnets which flew to the magnets, hitting my hand. If it had been a chisel I would now have the nickname of "lefty".

-Henry
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 06:55:47 AM by henjulfox »

SmoggyTurnip

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 06:59:00 AM »
I find it helps if you rotate one magnet

ninety degrees before sliding it off.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 06:59:00 AM by SmoggyTurnip »

rpcancun

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 09:36:48 AM »
I would recommend thin wood wedges, similar to cutting a deck of cards

with a card, slide it in between the mags then separate, or slide another wedge in

till it becomes easier,..and of course safer...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 09:36:48 AM by rpcancun »

richhagen

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 05:13:29 PM »
slide, or twist and slide, pulling takes more energy. I can get my N35 magnets of the same dimentions apart pretty easily that way, however you have N50 which are quite a bit stronger.  I wouldn't use a tool, and definitely not a steel or magnetic one.  Rich
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 05:13:29 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

Rufat

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 09:53:00 PM »
Thank you for everyone. Actually today I spend several hours adjusting myself to magnets and this was mutual from magnets also. Certainly, I cracked several of them until catch their ideology. Very tricky. I think I need develop some tool for detaching them from stacks.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 09:53:00 PM by Rufat »

nothing to lose

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 11:56:24 PM »
Well if you will need a tool?

Take a strong wooden board like 2x4, cut a square hole in it about the size of your magnets in from the edge maybe 4" and on the 4" face.

Easiest way to use it then would be on the other end connect a cross board 2X4. Now put stack of magnets against the table or work bench ands hold with one hand, put the "Tool" over the top magnet so that it sits on the table top and against your waist, now push with your body or hips against the cross board untill the top magnet slide onto the table. Guide the magnet end of the board with free hand while holding the stack with the other.

OR, you could build sort of a VICE/puller onto the work bench. Just something to hold a long bolt with a handle in place so that it can be turned, fasten the 2X4 with the hole in it to the long bolt securely and far away front the mangets. Now crank out the 2X4, place magnets against work bench and slide up till top magnet is in hole, crank the vise set up to pull the magnet onto the table and away from the stack.

You may want something mounted over the 2x4 to hold it down near the magnet like another 2x4 piece for it to slide under. Then it can't pop up and let the mangets jump out the bottom.

Depending how much you need to use it, and how involved you want to get in building it,  build on those ideas and you could seperate any size or shape Neos easily.

Don't build it with any metal near the Neos though!! :)

« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 11:56:24 PM by nothing to lose »

dinges

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 11:58:25 PM »
Giggle...

Know what you're talking about. Like said, don't ever use a knife. I've got the scar to prove it.

Next time, I will clamp it in a wooden (woodworking) vice, with just one magnet sticking above it. Then, with another piece of wood used as a 'chisel' and a bigger piece as a hammer, I'd try to strike them off. Making absolutely sure they don't fly away (use a backstop) and that there is NO metal in the vicinity. Whatever you do, don't use a metal hammer or other tools. Using a knife is just begging for an accident. And damage to your magnets.

Even as they come from the factory, with 4mm thick spacers installed, I have great difficulty removing by hand. Let alone what would happen without the spacer.

R.E.S.P.E.T.C.

Peter.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 11:58:25 PM by dinges »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 08:54:19 AM »
Ought to be a requirement that folks purchase a few magnets to exhaust their curiosity on - chip, scratch, crack, fold, launch etc. and then purchase the working set which is handled just ONCE (and then treated like high explosives) as they are laid out and sealed in place...

Since Neo's are a pressed and sintered composite, just one uncontrolled attraction event usually starts micro-faults that become apparent only at a much later date and eventually kill the magnet with bulges & exposure to moisture. The nickle coating is applied to merely to lubricate the pieces during production at the factory, not provide any armor for end-users.

My first Neo's are now refrigerator magnets that I'd not waste time installing in a generator after I've watched the nicks and gouges getting a wee bit bigger every day - and for the kids, watch that nickle coating peeling edges can be razor sharp at times!

« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 08:54:19 AM by DanG »