Author Topic: Cordless Rotary kettle - slip rings?  (Read 935 times)

gotwind

Cordless Rotary kettle - slip rings?
« on: June 06, 2006, 09:25:21 PM »

As I was making a cup of tea today in England, I considered utilising the rotary connector as a source for a cheap slip ring design for wind generators, (well, my Ametek 30 generator)

Might require a bit of sawing and adaption.

You can find used kettles free in skips (dumpsters) in the U.K.

Some have a rating of 3 Kw @ 240v, for rapid boiling.

That's a possible 12 Amp slip ring.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 09:25:21 PM by (unknown) »

Jon Miller

• Otherpower UK
Re: Cordless Rotary kettle - slip rings?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 04:01:32 PM »
cool idea, simple, cheap and effective.  Dont know how long they would last but if there free its sure worth a try, would be worth pursuing if you need them for an amteck as they could handle the current.  Good luck with them and let me know how it goes.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 04:01:32 PM by Jon Miller »

dinges

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 01:43:58 AM »
Could be an idea worth to try out.

But, those contacts are meant to be closed and then the machine turned on, I suppose. Which means that while there is still movement of the kettle w.r.t. its baseplate, there won't be any voltage present.

Also, during heating, there may be the odd movement of the kettle, but normally the kettle will remain undisturbed during heating, until the water boils.

Things are a bit different with windgennies, where there is constant movement of the slipring and brush while under power.

Also, it is 'consumer grade' stuff. I do have an opinion on that. In windmills, the best is not nearly good enough, IMO.

Good thinking though. Hope that I'm completely wrong with my above statements and that it will prove to be a useable solution for some windmills. Me too I'm still looking for a good source of cheap & useable sliprings. Don't hold your breath though...

Peter.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 01:43:58 AM by dinges »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 06:59:56 PM »
I have to admit I have not worked with this as a current device but I intend to use this on The hawt I've got going together . That being said Here's the game plan but I'm going to use rollers with a separate race .The trick is to get the lube to also carry enough current to be cool and conductive and not break down.

http://www.geocities.com/koneheadx/electricbearings.html
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 06:59:56 PM by tecker »