Author Topic: CNC Blade Carver - Part #2  (Read 1593 times)

FrankG

CNC Blade Carver - Part #2
« on: June 09, 2006, 03:01:38 AM »
The link below is to the progress on the CNC Blade carver project.

http://www.theworkshop.ca/machining/gen3/2/2.htm

The focus was on the gantry assembly and mounting the rail system.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 03:01:38 AM by (unknown) »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
Rejuvinating PC board etchant.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 09:38:25 PM »
At the risk of digressing:

On your site in the section on making CNC controller boards you wondered about rejuvinating ferric chloride etchant.  Bell labs did just that:

- Drop in a couple electrodes.

- Apply a small current (suitable for electroplating) between them.  (A couple volts and a current-limiting resistor - say, a small low-voltage light bulb.)

Result:

- Electrolytically refined copper at the negative electrode.

- Ferrous->Ferric ion conversion at the positive electrode creating rejuvinated solution.

Repeat tens of times before the stuff gets too cruddy to use.  BIG drop in the amount of hazardous waste you need to dump - and really pure copper (rather than horribly poisonous copper ions in solution) as a by-product.

I think they used graphite for the positive electrode.  Try a couple graphite rods for starters - copper will plate out on one.

Keep the voltage low enough and things should just stop when the copper is all plated out and the solution is back near full strength, rather than disintegrating the positive electrode, generating chlorine gas, etc.  (Try this outdoors first, though.  B-)  That way if it screws up you're only out some already-waste solution, rather than your lungs.)

It's tempting to try to do it in the etching bath for a continuous process but I bet the current would make the etching uneven.  You could do it with a pump to a separate rejuvinating chamber - but that's WAY overkill for anything short of a large-scale commercial board house.

Haven't tried this myself so far.  If you decide to be the guinea pig let us know how it works out.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 09:38:25 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

richhagen

Re: CNC Blade Carver - Part #2
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 12:39:03 AM »
OK Frank, that is pretty neat.  I have been working on and off on one, I splurged for the linear rods and bearings though.  I'll have to post on it soon, but I hate to do so until I know it will work right.  I have a habit of having half finished projects.  The blades take a long while to carve.  I'm not sure if you built it suitable for this, but I'm planning three cutting heads to carve three blades simultaneously.  This should reduce time and power consumption in carving blades, however it will reduce the Y travel, and the utility of the router for other purposes.  Rich Hagen
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 12:39:03 AM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

richhagen

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 12:47:09 AM »
For the above, my Y axis is your X axis.  I missed the first post on this as I was actually out of the country at the time.  I will wait with anticipation for the next post.  I am missing that aluminum casting ability of yours, the motor mounts look nice.  Rich Hagen
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 12:47:09 AM by richhagen »

FrankG

Re: Rejuvinating PC board etchant.
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 05:54:12 AM »
ULR,

I DID try that exact setup back in april!!! and it does work like a charm!!!

I took 2 carbon posts that were located in the center of a pair of dead "D" cells and soldered a power connector from a dead hard disk. I have a Capacitive discharge desulph unit that is powered by a PC power-supply (7A on the 12V line) and slaved the etchant electrolyzer off it as well...

Within about 4 hours the positive electrode was clearly plated with copper, after a few days it had started forming spherical nodules of solid copper... In total it ran for a week.

I have the pics put aside to be posted when I re-draw the "Capulsator" schematic... One of the hold-ups is that I want to etch a 1" sq board as a test, also weigh a set of fresh carbon electrodes, run the rejuv-unit for a few days, weigh the plated electrode and time a second 1" sq brd to act as a conclusive proof that the process actually does something.

FrankG

« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 05:54:12 AM by FrankG »

FrankG

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 06:13:09 AM »
Rich,

It's interesting how things work out... it was you that planted the idea of a blade carver last year (either in an off-line message, or through the discussion brd here...)

But even more curious is "How" I got into metal casting and machine building to begin with...

In Feb of 2001, I had some eye surgery done and had to be off work (at the time I was invested heavily in an I.T. career in the health care sector, and had few outlets for hobby time or interests)... Over the 2 days I was off I decided to surf the web... Of all the sites on-line I landed HERE @ the other-power site... to say I was blown away would have been an under statement...

But in the course of reading through the "Field-Lines" message board, I came across a short cryptic message about some fellow that had just recieved his set of "Dave Gingery - Build a machine-shop from scrap" books... Initially I thought it was a joke, metal casting in your back-yard? building precision or semi-precision machines?

Once I started to hunt down the few sites that were up at that time on hobby foundry work I became hooked... I can't recomend a better hobby to get into than metal casting. The uses are almost limitless, plus the gee-whizz factor is pretty high (for me at least)...

« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 06:13:09 AM by FrankG »

richhagen

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 10:05:06 AM »
That is what is so great about this site.  I would never have built half of the things I have built over the last couple of years without input from various people here.  Rich
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 10:05:06 AM by richhagen »

richhagen

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 10:30:34 AM »
To spin things around full circle, it was Jacques, who was working with Ron on some CNC blades for a mill in Canada at the time from which I got the idea.  From there I researched these "CNC" machines, in the process I ran across your site TheWorkshop.Ca and read about your first CNC machine - and also your metal casting.  I ended up getting a small mill, and carved some blades.  To my amazement, they worked.  I made a post about them at the time.  http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2005/2/22/111119/599

Then with input from a multitude of people here, I wound up with improvements for future blades in a process of evolution that continues.  Rich
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 10:30:34 AM by richhagen »

Nando

Re: Rejuvinating PC board etchant.
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 10:07:49 PM »
There was a company that had a re-juvenator and the etcher for industrial PCB making.

I saw it working in the late 1960's in California

The etching action and the re-juvenator were separated, though taking the chloride from the etching operation and continue plating copper to the electrode that was removed when the weight had increased several pounds.

Nando

« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 10:07:49 PM by Nando »