Author Topic: Lattice tower plan question  (Read 3253 times)

Texas Al

Lattice tower plan question
« on: June 23, 2006, 04:47:03 AM »
I'm looking to put up a tower for my soon to be completed Piggott-style windmill.

We plan to use it as a test-bed-- seeing the effects of swapping in different blade and rotor designs as we build them, and using the same exact spot and height so that it's a fair comparison. Renting a truck and calling together the whole gang every time I want to swap something would be prohibitive in cost and manpower. So I need it to be a climbable design (I'm physically fit and have never been afraid of heights).

I've examined an old water-pump windmill near my house, and that tower is made entirely out of angle-iron and held together with bolts. No welds anyplace. I'm sure I could buy the angle iron and drill it myself instead of ordering a $2000 kit. But I would be more comfortable if I could get my hands on some actual blueprints instead of doing it by observation. I've looked through the archives of this site and found this link...

http://www.deanbennett.com/tower_instructions.htm

...which is quite helpful, but I was wondering if anybody here who has built a lattice tower can recommend any higher-resolution and more detailed blueprints. It seems amazing with all the windmill plans out there, there are so few blueprints for constructing a tower.

I'm not looking just for free-standing towers, either. I would be just as happy with a guyed lattice tower like the one Zubbly put up.

Special note to Zubbly-- beautiful tower you posted a while ago. Is it still standing? Where did you get the plans for building it?

Thank y'all.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 04:47:03 AM by (unknown) »

A6D9

Re: Lattice tower plan question
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 11:06:13 AM »
this is probly way too big for your application, but it is none the less a very amasing accomplishement for these guys.

http://www.do-it-yourself-tower.com/

« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 11:06:13 AM by A6D9 »