Author Topic: Data logger  (Read 742 times)

teobyrne

Data logger
« on: August 11, 2006, 02:38:16 PM »
Hi folks,

I'm a hobbyist and I'm just starting construction of an axial flux windmill based on the Hugh Piggott plans.  I'd like to be able to get a good measurement of performance and also evaluate my (proposed) site.

Ideally, I'd like to capture with some sort of data logger the following: Wind speed, Direction, Rotor RPM and Amps.  I would hope I could do it with a wireless interface and I could capture up to a couple of months of data at a time (in about minute increments). It would be great if it was solar powered. I'm guessing this is a tall order!

I've been looking at the Davis Instruments Vantage Pro2 weather station with data logger, but it will not solve the problem of logging amps and rotor RPM.  Anybody have experience with this equipment? Any other venders sell equipment like this?

I'm new to all this (sure is fun though), any ideas out there?  How hard is it for a novice to build this device him (her) self?

Thanks

« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 02:38:16 PM by (unknown) »

AbyssUnderground

Re: Data logger
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 09:59:28 AM »
There was a diary about this a few weeks ago.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2006/8/5/224816/4475

Can I suggest you search the forum before asking questions as you could find your answer more quickly than waiting for a reply!

Hope the link is what you are looking for.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 09:59:28 AM by AbyssUnderground »

veewee77

Re: Data logger
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 12:56:21 PM »
I am learning to do this as well.  I have been using Compaq Contura laptops and a RadioShaft 22-805 meter for data loggin experimentation and this way you are only limited to the storage capabilities of the laptop. Without the display on, they use pretty low watts. The meter requires a 9V battery but one of the thigs I am going to do is make a circuit that isolates the meter battery power from the rest of the circuit but allows it to run from the system batteries.  Normally, you can not measure voltage from a source with the meter powered by the same source without letting the magic smoke out of the meter. A small isolated transformer-based circuit will fix that pitfall.

I do like the data logger that other guy lists though so may look into that as well.

One thing good about the lappie, though, is if you can find a laptop with enough memory and drive space to run a compact X, you could actually put all the displays on the screen for examination as well as storing the data on the lappie.

FUN FUN!

Doug

« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 12:56:21 PM by veewee77 »