Author Topic: Coils  (Read 899 times)

moondog

Coils
« on: August 17, 2006, 12:40:38 AM »
This will be my first attempt. I'm going to build a small wind mill using (3/4") magnets and I'm wondering about making the coils.

All else being equal, what difference does wire gauge make? If you use, say 18 AWG wire with fewer windings or 20 AWG with more windings.

Will voltage be higher (at same speed) with the larger wire or the smaller wire?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 12:40:38 AM by (unknown) »

coldspot

Re: Coils
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 08:18:03 PM »
I

Being a newby still

Will offer this

Smaller wire More volts

Larger wire more Amps

The search buttons are your best

way to save time and money.

:)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 08:18:03 PM by coldspot »
$0.02

asheets

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 02:39:32 PM »
Smaller wire tends to have more resistance in the circuit.  From what I've been able to see, most everybody starts at 16AWG and gets larger (the awg number goes down) as they get into bigger setups.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 02:39:32 PM by asheets »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 06:55:26 PM »
You get the same amount of POWER from a given cross-section of wire in the mag field.

With smaller wire you can use more turns, getting a higher generated voltage - but a higher resistance, thus resulting in a proportionally lower current for a given amount of loss to heating.

Unfortunately, in a charging application the LOAD voltage is fixed by the battery.  So you have to pick a good trade.

- Wind too many turns of a thin wire and you end up with low charging current, lower power to the battery at given wind speeds, and lower power to the battery at the stator-heating limit (where you must furl to prevent burnout).  Go even farther and you may also start loading the prop at too low a speed, causing it to stall and keeping it from spinning up to where it would be collecting a lot more power from a given wind speed.

- Wind too few turns of a thicker wire and though you can get a lot of charging current in high winds your cutin speed rises enough to make you to miss power in lower winds when you need it most.  Go farther and your cutin rises enough that you don't charge - or don't charge much - even in typical winds, again reducing the power collected.

So there's an optimum happy medium range that you try to hit, to match the genny/battery-voltage combo to the turbine and the typical distribution of wind speeds it encounters.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 06:55:26 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

moondog

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 08:08:00 AM »
Thanks everyone. That helped a lot.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 08:08:00 AM by moondog »