Author Topic: A question for DanB  (Read 988 times)

LeissKG

A question for DanB
« on: August 18, 2006, 06:59:50 PM »
On the webpage http://www.otherpower.com/wisc06.html about the

Homebrew Wind Turbine Construction Seminar 2006 it is stated

in the "The other machines" section, that the 7 foot machine

has only one magnet rotor, and thus an incomplete magnetic

circuit. I accept your argument about the cost-effective use

of the magnets, but would the second backing plate alone not

complete the circuit? That 2nd steelplate should not cost much.

The fieldstreng would be less as with 2 magnet rotors but the

direction of the field should be almost the same. You would

probably need a smaller airgap.

Klaus Leiss

« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 06:59:50 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: A question for DanB
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 02:04:50 AM »
I will leave Dan to answer your specific questions about his machine, but I can make some comments.

Using a second rotor will indeed act as a return path for the flux and will use the magnets more efficiently.

If Dan has found that a single rotor with no return path provides the optimum for this design, you will need to make changes if you add a second disc, so don't do it without thinking of the consequences.

I suspect with a second disc you would match an 8ft prop quite well if you got things right.

If you add a second disc to Dan's machine and leave the stator as it is, it will cut in at too low a speed and stall badly with the 7 ft prop. You would need to reduce turns to raise the cut in speed and that would leave you room for thicker wire. With the same cut in speed you would most likely still stall with the 7 ft prop and would need to add resistance in the line. The power into the battery would be similar but the stator temperature would be lower and you could have a larger safety margin or you could raise the furling speed.

There are infinite variations you can make as long as you know what you are doing.

Both DanB and Hugh Piggot provide complete working designs that will perform well if copied exactly and those without detailed knowledge are well advised to follow without introducing modifications.

The more experienced can often adapt the designs for their particular needs and sometimes make improvements to suit available materials, but I strongly suspect that many make changes that don't enhance the final result as they don't fully understand the implications of change.

Flux

« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 02:04:50 AM by Flux »

LeissKG

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 04:23:00 AM »
I assumed that you would have to modify the coils. My question was more along the lines is the saved copper in the stator more expensive than a second rotor plate. Since copper wire is expensive, it would depend on the manufacturing cost of the rotor plate. The machine with only one rotor might or might not be the most cost-effective use of the magnets. To me this question is academic since I don't plan to build a machine, but if you do, it may make a difference. It may also be a point they want to mention in their book, if it is not already done.

Klaus Leiss

« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 04:23:00 AM by LeissKG »

powerbuoy

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 10:59:47 AM »
The backplate idea is surely not a bad one ... however, it'll add to the overall complexity of the generator. Also, I would play with a magnetic simulation to see what to expect from configuration with back plate, without, diff. magnet strength etc. "vizimag" is free for 30 days and easy to use.

Powerbuoy

« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 10:59:47 AM by powerbuoy »