Author Topic: Needing some guidance  (Read 817 times)

DHowell

Needing some guidance
« on: August 31, 2006, 06:18:37 PM »
Hello to everyone here.  I'm new to this board and wind energy.  I would just like some help or advice from members of this board on where I should look for information on wind energy, turbines, tech, etc.  I'd also like to know where you all think someone in my position should best begin when entering wind energy.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 06:18:37 PM by (unknown) »

andyman5002

Re: Needing some guidance
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 12:42:30 PM »
I think you should begin reading the hompage and the wind section. Lots of good info there. Heres a link http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_wind.html. Maybe you should start with a small DC motor, like an ametek or something and some PVC blades. Theres lots of postings of such projects. Search the board for some, I think ben has got a good project going with a ametek motor.

Welcome to this great community :)

Andy

« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 12:42:30 PM by andyman5002 »

disaray1

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 12:45:02 PM »
Hello to you, D, and welcome. All of the infomation you'll ever need about wind is right here. Start reading the archives...every subject has been well hashed out by the experts.  Have a question? Google search the board first. Most assuredly, the answer has already been given, multiple times!

Also, you might pick up a copy of Hugh Piggots book. It's all in there!

Enjoy, and if you have a significant other, be prepared to deal with being slapped around a little because you spend tooooo much time here. ;)

disaray1

« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 12:45:02 PM by disaray1 »

elvin1949

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 05:46:43 PM »
DHowell

Welcome aboard  this place is addictive,SO.

Have fun  Anything you can think of about R/E

can be found here.

Look, then if you can't find ask,someone will guide

you

later

elvin
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 05:46:43 PM by elvin1949 »

nothing to lose

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 03:08:27 PM »
" I'd also like to know where you all think someone in my position should best begin "

Well what is your position??  :)

If you just mean new, as others said look and search here, about anything you need to know you can find.

If you mean like what you should first try, look at your surroundings. Do you seem to have good winds? Nice steady breeze, leaves rattling, trees bending, do you need an anchor to walk to your car? Might let you know about wind conditions :)

Are you in the deep woods or big city or somewhere in between?

Many ways to begin and play.

You might want to try the DC motor and small cheap easy blades, they work.

Might want to jump into small AC motor Conversions, small motors, nice easy blades, cheap, easy, makes decent power.

I used Zubbly type blades on the aboves and they worked well for me. You can search for them here, how to cut and build. Also Jerry blades have been working very well on many projects of mine, seach here where to buy if you need them.

Perhaps you want to jump into the medium AC motor conversions or smaller Dual rotor gennies, a little more costly, more power, more work, well worth it.

Big AC motor conversion or Big dual rotor you may want to try smaller first to learn, lots of power and lots of info here.

Welcome and have fun.

When you have an idea of what you want to do, you can post info about what you wish to try and local winds etc.. lots of help and suggestions abound around here.

I know alot of times we just want to DO SOMETHING but not sure what, I am that way alot, but to get decent help and advice we have to at least have a basic idea of what we can do. Like me, I can do anything where I am, some people got the codes and zoning, etc.. breathing down their backs and can do little but wish..

« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 03:08:27 PM by nothing to lose »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 09:29:51 PM »
Hi Dhowell,

NTL makes some relevent points

"also like to know where you all think someone in my position should best begin when entering wind energy."

'Well what is your position??  :)'

Honestly, as I read this post, this was instantly what came to my mind. Exactly how high are you willing to raise that tower? What is your target wind speed to harvest. The best wind is around 60ft?...

One thing I like about this board, is that all the egg's are not in wind power. if you determine solar is better for you, by way of example. Its commonly discussed here as well.

aND oh YA,

Disaray1

"Enjoy, and if you have a significant other, be prepared to deal with being slapped around a little because you spend tooooo much time here. ;)"

I recently experienced this same phonominom...(minutes ago) But im good. I promised to move the computer to the shop. :) :) ;)

JW

« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 09:29:51 PM by JW »

DHowell

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 08:59:20 PM »
Regarding My current situation...

I'm currently an undergraduate at the Univ. of Rochester in Rochester, NY.  I'm a pretty big environmentalist and noticed a seemingly endless stream of wind here and figured Wind Energy os perfect.

David

« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 08:59:20 PM by DHowell »