Author Topic: Turning away from the wind  (Read 1058 times)

FreeBreeze

Turning away from the wind
« on: September 03, 2006, 10:50:13 PM »
I have built a Hugh Piggot 2.4 Metre turbine and it seems to want to turn at an angle to a moderate wind.To me it seems the gyroscopic forces are turning it.If I physicaly point it directly at the wind direction it picks up speed.If I let it go it goes right back to where it was. Is there anyway to counter act this?

Jamie

« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 10:50:13 PM by (unknown) »

Titantornado

Re: Turning away from the wind
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 05:05:29 PM »
add some weight to the tail.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 05:05:29 PM by Titantornado »

windstuffnow

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 05:07:29 PM »
  It sounds like you may need a larger tail area.  If the forces on the blade tend to turn it it has to be balanced by the area of the tail to hold it in place.   With out a little more information I'm just guessing.  I have, however, seen this on a couple of my earlier turbines and the larger tail cured the problem.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 05:07:29 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

FreeBreeze

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 06:06:26 PM »
My tail is 24" x 36" x 1/2" fir plywood.The plans call for 3/8" cant honestly saw I have ever seen 3/8" around here.I will try the larger tail and see what happens

Thank all

Jamie

« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 06:06:26 PM by FreeBreeze »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 01:28:40 AM »
I should have thought 3ft x 2 ft was big enough if the 3ft dimension is vertical.

I assume it is not furling at this point (tail still on its stop). If the tail is at right angles to the prop then it will normally run at a bit of an angle to the wind. You need to set the tail away from furling direction 15 to 20 deg to balance the prop thrust.

The fact that you can make it speed up by pulling it into the wind makes me think that it is at a very considerable angle ( 20 deg has no obvious effect on speed or output).

Have you got about 4ft between the yaw pivot and the start of the tail fin?

Any idea of prop speed and power out and wind speed at the point you are bothered about?. A bigger tail will help but with your 1/2" ply you may push the furl point too high if you make it much bigger.

I take it that it is a consistent offset, not twisting about from turbulent wind. If you can manage it a picture may help spot something silly.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 01:28:40 AM by Flux »

FreeBreeze

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 02:37:27 PM »
I think you nailed it !I have added extra reinforcing to the tail stops and in doing so have changed my angle to just over 90 degrees to the blades(didnt even notice).Hughs plans called for a 10 degree angle but I think I will grind them off and start over.I dont have the plans in front of me but I dont think he really gives a measurement as to where to locate the tail on the 1-1/4" tail mast.I know I am under 4' though. I will get a picture on here soon.

Thanx

Jamie

« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 02:37:27 PM by FreeBreeze »