Author Topic: Folding tower - proportions of fixed vs hinged pole  (Read 1725 times)

domwild

Folding tower - proportions of fixed vs hinged pole
« on: September 18, 2006, 02:10:53 AM »
Hi,

Will be given a 20' (6m)len. of 2" strong water pipe. Have more 2" pipe and lengths of next size down which fits into the 2" fixed part of the pole. May be called 1.5" pipe in the imperial system.

1. What should be the length from ground to start of hinged (moving) part? Is 2m (6') a good suggestion, so one can put in the locking pin once the thing is erect?
  2. Intend to use the smaller gauge pipe from hinge to mill. With a 1.5m prop, which should be off the ground for repairs, I suppose it will be in my power to work out the length of the hinge-to-mill part. Question: If that part is in the next smaller size pipe, will it bend and poss. break as it also has to be quite long??
  3. Are guy wires also recommended for the top (hinged) part of the pole?

Thanks.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 02:10:53 AM by (unknown) »

luckeydog

• Colorado Wind Power
Re: Folding tower -
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 10:08:37 PM »
I believe Guy wires should always be recommended to the top of the tower. If you took a rope and tied it to the top of the tower with out guy wires you could probably pull it down with just you pulling on it 20 foot of cheater pipe is a lot of leverage and the wind is a lot more powerful than most people think. I had a 4 foot turbine break the telescoping tower that I have.

I had 3 guy wires that were attached half way up the 47 foot tower and it broke it just above the guy wires. it trashes the blades bent the tower all to hell. guy wires are cheep compared to the repair.

Luckeydog

« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 10:08:37 PM by luckeydog »