Author Topic: Car alternator with PM - Help  (Read 1314 times)

cocaine

Car alternator with PM - Help
« on: October 02, 2006, 11:48:56 AM »
I started to modify two alternators of car and came across with some problems and difficult decisions to take

I plan to use both stators (of the two alternators) and one rotor modified with p.m. The drawing explains my thought better:

In relation to the gearbox, its relation only goes to be found after the power tests.

Originally, the rotor had 12 poles. My questions are:

It will be better to keep 12 poles or use 16 , 20 or more poles? (if i put more poles i have to reduce the size of pm's)

Which will be the necessary minimum thickness of the PM for this case? (6mm, 8mm)?

I am drifter between the following options (see image)

The most important of all questions. Do you think that this project will have a positive results ? If not, which would be your suggestions of form to improve the performance?

Clearly that I will publish all the results of the performance test!!!

I thank already to your allotment of knowledge for the development of this project.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 11:48:56 AM by (unknown) »

dinges

Re: Car alternator with PM - Help
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 07:19:49 AM »
Hi.

I won't be going into details with the PM, how many poles, etc. It's just a detail, compared to my main point:

why do you want to use a gearbox?

Many people complain about the soft 'woosh-woosh' sound some blades make. Now, add that gearbox, and even -you- will be complaining about the noise of your own windgenny. Not to mention the wear of it and the maintenance. It's just the noise that would be my main problem.

The Dans have explained, over and over, why you don't want to use a car alternator, or use gearing.

Just my opinion. If you just can't resist tinkering, go ahead. If you want maximum power with minimum effort & frustration, do what the Dans have done & build an axial flux, or do a motor conversion à la Zubbly.

As to the poles in your drawing: they seem to be pretty close to eachother, so you'd be getting some magnetic-field cancellation (a magnetic shortcircuit between neighbouring poles). But, again, this is just a detail compared to my main worry, the gearing. Do a search on this board for 'gearing'; I don't remember reading a story on this board about converting a car alternator to a PM alternator.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 07:19:49 AM by dinges »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 09:46:47 AM »
If the original rotors were 12 pole your pm rotors must be 12 pole.

Yes it will work but it seems a major work of engineering to end up with a poor device.

It you have the ability to build that you could make something infinitely better.

A 2 stage gearbox is probably only just viable. Below 10kW you would do far better never to think of a gearbox.

Flux

« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 09:46:47 AM by Flux »

cocaine

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 07:32:36 PM »
ok... after a long research this project was dead!

I working on a axial flux turbine and i expect to publish the main line very soon. It´s a 3-phase; 39 coils; 26 poles; using a 12" disc brake and disc magnets.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 07:32:36 PM by cocaine »