Author Topic: Electric thermal storage.  (Read 1124 times)

arif1996

Electric thermal storage.
« on: October 05, 2006, 04:57:00 AM »
Hi,

Is there anyone who can give me some good references (Like research paper, article etc..) on Electric thermal storage heater? I am not sure if this is a good question to ask in this forum as i have seen most of the peoples are talking about some real time issues. Sorry, if i make any unrealistic question.

Thanks

Arif

« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 04:57:00 AM by (unknown) »

Gary D

Re: Electric thermal storage.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 09:40:23 AM »
 Electric thermal storage systems (ETS) are so common in the U.S. that you hardly ever see anything written about them. Only when a University decides to heat water (for showers in dorms)solely with a dedicated megawatt wind machine or such, do you even see it being news worthy.

Many private (co-ops) will cut your rates with a separate meter if one or more ETS units are installed in your residence, but it usually requires a separate meter (usually free). They can then turn on or off power to them as they wish to cut peak power demand. I have a unit installed on my domestic waterheater, voluntarily allowing my power co-op to shave some peak demand load(no second meter). I still have plenty of saved hot water until they turn the unit on.

Private Electric companies may give similar off peak rates to ETS systems, and Federal incentives may be available. They MAY(read in probably will) charge for a second meter though. There are off the shelf units for home use in the 2 up to the 6 Kw range, and I'm quite sure much higher if you are on the grid.

As this was posted in the wind section, quite a few people on this board dump extra power after their battery banks are full into a spare water heater making it a preheater. Others dump extra electrical power directly (air resistance heater) into the house or a power shed. This could be put to use at a later time if the air units were placed in an insullated box containing ballast rocks, cement slabs of the proper thickness or other....

Don't know if any of this helps, hopefully someone can provide a link to what you are looking for. The size unit(s) and such would be helpfull, and perhaps the intended use(home or office, or other? Doubtfull if this is worth 2 cents, just a quick primer.... Gary D.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 09:40:23 AM by Gary D »

arif1996

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 11:24:36 PM »
Thanks a lot for your information. I have also come up with some research paper but i think those are not enough. Actually, i am looking for what are the researchs that the researchers are doing with this thing. But thanks for your prompt reply.

Thanks

Arif

« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 11:24:36 PM by arif1996 »

Grant MacLeod

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 08:43:28 AM »
My home's primary heating source (I'm in eastern Canada) is electrical thermal storage.  We replaced our electric baseboard heating 5 or 6 years ago.  Anything in particular you want to know?

Grant MacLeod

« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 08:43:28 AM by Grant MacLeod »

arif1996

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 02:21:24 PM »
I am from Newfoundland, Canada. I have some components , i.e., a Wind Turbine, a ETS, battery charging unit etc...I assumed that the output of the battery charger(which is 120v DC) should be put into the ETS. I am trying to find an inverter (120 VDC to 240V/60 hz ac) as ETS i think needs a ac supply too.

It would be good for me if you can send me a schematic of your system, i.e., how did you connect your ETS with your wind/solar system. What your total setup looks like. Did you use any maximum power tracker to any point in your setup? Did you use dump load with your system?

Thanks

Arif

« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 02:21:24 PM by arif1996 »