Author Topic: vibration isolating mounts  (Read 1980 times)

relihanl

vibration isolating mounts
« on: October 05, 2006, 01:23:43 PM »
I suspect that this may result in lots of "don't do it" replies, but here goes anyhow....

I would like to place a small wind turbine (1.8 meter blade span) on a concrete-built building by mounting it on a pole bolted to the side wall. This turbine will not be large and people do not sleep in this building at nights. However, i do want to ensure that vibrations are isolated as much as possible. Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to do this?

I was thinking about some kind of rubber bushings placed around the pole and compressed by some kind of a metal bracket. If this made sense, where would I get such bushings?

Are there any kinds of commercial off-the-shelf solutions for other similar problems that I could use or adapt?

« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 01:23:43 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: vibration isolating mounts
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 07:35:18 AM »
I am toying with the idea too. A 3' mill, tower against a wooden barn.

I was thinking soft motor mounts, maybe from the old VW Bug?

G-
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 07:35:18 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

nanotech

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 07:39:17 AM »
Depending on the height of the tower, you could use muffler/exhaust hangers.

If they're too soft ghurd's idea of a smaller-engined motor mount like a Geo Metro.  Or you could go all fancy and get some of those Honda/Acura viscous ones.

Maybe a combination of a motor mount and bicycle/motorcycle shock absorbers.....

« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 07:39:17 AM by nanotech »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 12:36:32 PM »
A company named Lord specializes in vibration isolation mounts, typically for engines, but also smaller stuff.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 12:36:32 PM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

stephent

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 04:05:33 PM »
Go to a local plumbing supply store and look/ask for some "uni-strut" to mount the pipe on the building with...ask for some uni-strut straps in the size + for the pipe you are using to support the wind gen with (plus one size larger then what you are using)--otherwise kind of known as a strut strap-----BUT

ask for the pipe "isolating" type straps. They have a built in rubber isolating "grommet" that wraps around the pipe and the strap holds both in the uni-strut...

It's a very strong support system when you use a couple of them (sections of uni-strut or a similar brand) bolted to the building.

Uni-strut is just plain old U section steel that comes in up to 20 + foot lengths with paint or galvanizing. But there are even stainless "unistrut" pieces available--as well as fiberglass also.

Stainless is VERY rough on hacksaw blades to say the least--fiberglass ain't much better. The steel is tough enough to cut through with a hacksaw--I always use a "portaband" to cut with. Chop saws work ok too.

You can buy the uni-strut (it's a braqnd name--others make it too) and straps just about worldwide and they come in sizes up to 6" or 8" or better--even copper coated.

The rubber isolator straps/unistrut are usually what Air Conditioner installers use on a commercial roof, etc.. to hold the copper refrigerant pipes on solidly to the building/structure. I use them very often (plain galvanized or painted straps/strut) for holding even heavy  electrical conduits/wire to just about any wall that will hold that weight up.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 04:05:33 PM by stephent »

thefinis

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 05:01:48 PM »
You might look at the floor mounts used with large air compressors they have vibration isolating pads. There are so many different antivibration mounts in use on vehicles that a trip to the wrecking yard may turn up just what is needed to fit your needs.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 05:01:48 PM by thefinis »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 06:34:43 PM »
Is it a solid block of cast, reenforced, concrete?  Or is it blocks-and-mortar?  Is it an industrial building designed for heavy-duty motorized equipment?

Consider the probability that, even with the mounts, the vibration will damage the building.  Crumble the mortar, crack (or even collapse) the walls, loosten the roof causing leaks, etc.

Compare the extra cost of a separate tower over the on-building mounting hardware versus the cost of repairing or replacing the building and its contents if it comes apart.

The probability must come out less than the cost ratio for on-building mounting to be a good bet.

Note that you might have to back this bet yourself, since mounting a non-code-approved vibrating electrical appliance to your building may void your insurance.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 06:34:43 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

powerbuoy

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 07:17:05 AM »
How about these ones? They find a lot of apps in military installations.

http://www.springcompany.com/Vibration%20Isolators.htm

Powerbuoy

« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 07:17:05 AM by powerbuoy »

dastardlydan

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 05:30:38 PM »
Thay make tail pipe hangers for big

pipe with rubber mounts ,don't know if this

will help?

DAN

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 05:30:38 PM by dastardlydan »