Author Topic: F&P cogging problem solved  (Read 1746 times)

gizmo

• The Back Shed
F&P cogging problem solved
« on: October 14, 2006, 09:27:08 AM »
For anyone working with the F&P motors, we've found a fix for the big problem of startup cog. Using a hub from a late model F&P, and a conversion of the stator to 7 phase, cogging as we knew it is gone!

The full thread is here. http://www.thebackshed.com/windmill/forum1/forum_posts.asp?TID=311&PN=1

This means the F&P can start in light winds, its biggest hurdle. So for less than $100 you can pick up a 2nd f&p stator and new late model hub, and make over 500 watts.

Glenn

« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 09:27:08 AM by (unknown) »

thefinis

Re: F&P cogging problem solved
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 06:48:20 AM »
Great work. It seems that just having access to F&P wasn't enough now there is the new improved version. I had checked the thead before you had rewired and mounted it on your Lentz. Looks like a real winner.

I recommend this for reading as Glenn has rewired this for 7 phase and has a way to wire it for slow rpms or fast rpms. Even if you don't have access to F&P motors this info may come in handy.

Finis

« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 06:48:20 AM by thefinis »

gizmo

• The Back Shed
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 03:46:17 PM »
Thanks Finis.

We've been looking for a solution to the cog problem for years, so its good to find a fix thats simple and works so well. The F&P stator is very easy to get down under, I have a deal with my local white good repair center, a 2nd hand stator from a junked washing machine is worth one 6 pack of beer. Now that the cog problem is solved there will be a lot more beer flowing!

Glenn

« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 03:46:17 PM by gizmo »

windstuffnow

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 05:10:06 PM »
  Pretty slick Glenn!  I was contemplating boosting the magnet count to overcome the cogging and still configure it in 3 phase.   I plan to install neo's on the one I have when time allows.   We'll see how it goes.

Gotta love those simple fixes!

« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 05:10:06 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

vawtman

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 07:02:28 PM »

You can somehow sorta way smooth out cog but it seems your sight is infected.Do you know that Giz.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 07:02:28 PM by vawtman »

gizmo

• The Back Shed
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 07:09:00 PM »
No, what do you mean?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 07:09:00 PM by gizmo »

gizmo

• The Back Shed
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 08:00:54 PM »
Vawtman, what are you on about. You cant say something like "You site is infected" and then disappear. I've just been over everything with a fine tooth comb, and its all clean. What are you talking about. I'm a network administrator during the day and statements like that make me panic!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 08:00:54 PM by gizmo »

vawtman

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 05:56:22 AM »
Sorry Gizmo

I just tried again and things seem fine.

Yesterday for some reason my antivirrus went nuts.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 05:56:22 AM by vawtman »

gizmo

• The Back Shed
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 02:17:07 AM »
Yes well, apology accepted.

Yesterday I spend near on an hour going through the site looking for any strange code that may be called an "Infection", and today I had full access to the server to do a more complete test, including any files uploaded by my forum members, all clean.

Not been nasty, but we all need to be carefull when making statements like that about other web sites, it borders on defamation, and can mean a perfectly safe web site can get a bad reputation for no reason. And for sites like Fieldlines, thebackshed, and the other windmill sites who offer free information and services its can be very disheartening for the owner.

Glenn

« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 02:17:07 AM by gizmo »

stephent

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 07:21:10 AM »
gurhd..gizmo

Sometimes the posters atavar links to a site that has "extraneous" stuff that comes along with the pic. Usually nothing creepy or crawly, but the Anti-virus stuff thinks it could be. (your antivirus should scream when any site trys to connect back to your browser/computer)

The worst ones I have found are the ones (atavar) that tell you your IP--and log it at the "free" place someone ran across it, and they are just annoying but not evil (as such).

They are usually just profiling the more/less popular sites.

Ain't no "free lunch" out on the Internet--if it's "free"--there's usually a catch.

Even my Google search bar/engine on the top profiles me and where I wonder around to even with Linux. Now that (Google having some of my info/profile) I don't mind cuz without a really extended search capabilities Google offers--I would be lost sometimes.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 07:21:10 AM by stephent »

stephent

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 07:22:24 AM »
oopps--vawtman gizmo.

I gotta cleam my glasses.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 07:22:24 AM by stephent »