Author Topic: Need help, from the beggining  (Read 782 times)

mclayton

Need help, from the beggining
« on: November 04, 2006, 11:01:25 AM »
I love making thing and love anything that helps me "go green" so a DIY wind turbine seems like a great idea, the problem is I know just about zero about it, particually the parts dealing with electricity(volts, amps, alternators, the correct wire to use to generate the correct this/that, RPM needed to generate this/that) and storage. I'm a student in college and am just looking for something smallscale to power my laptop, mostly I'd just like spread awarness, can anyone recomend and resources for me?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 11:01:25 AM by (unknown) »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Re: Need help, from the beggining
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 04:24:11 AM »
Err Google search this board, top right hand box.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 04:24:11 AM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

disaray1

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 05:35:22 AM »
   You could get started by reading ALLOT right here in the archives. For a hands-on primer, consider the minigen on Ed's  http://www.windstuffnow.com/main .  Start small and work your way up!

D

« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 05:35:22 AM by disaray1 »

force9BOAT

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 04:30:25 PM »
In addition to the other comments I would strongly advise going solar instead of wind.  I know from my own experience wind turbines are no simple matter.  There's a 1000 things to learn.  Even then, unless you have a good "windy" location you may be disappointed.  With solar on the other hand you get power easily and immediately.  I've got both.  I've been playing with my wind turbine for a year and still have not produced any significant power from it.  My solar panels on the other hand crank out the power almost every day.  With a set a batteries and an inverter you are all set.  My computer I'm using right now is solar powered.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 04:30:25 PM by force9BOAT »