Author Topic: electric mower  (Read 774 times)

bigdan

electric mower
« on: November 16, 2006, 11:15:20 PM »
The ones that surplus center sells are 1140 rpm@15amps so double check it. I was going to build an electric mower.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 11:15:20 PM by (unknown) »

cyplesma

Re: electric mower
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 04:46:48 PM »
I've been pondering about (3 years) converting my current gas riding mower (craftsman) to an electric one.

I am just sooooo tired of all the up keep and maintentence being so &#*#^$ messy.

oil, gas, plugs, water in carb, changing this changing that.

even if I had to tow the batteries in a trailer behind the mower, of course folks you have a lot of sharp turns this might not work for, but.... I would be doing it for my own yard not theirs. I have a few hills though.

sure I would still have belts to replace and lube the deck up that enages the mower blades, and batteries would be expensive, but I do feel more comfortable work with electric then gasoline.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 04:46:48 PM by cyplesma »

drdongle

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 05:17:59 PM »
Use an electric golf cart with a drag behind electric mower deck.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 05:17:59 PM by drdongle »

badmoonryzn

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 04:23:53 AM »
I have an old garden tractor that has a starter generator on it and I wondered if it had more horsepower than the gas pot. It spins the gas engine so fast one would think it does not have compression. It has the old rope start deal on it and believe me you do not want to start it by winding and pulling a rope. Does anyone know what horsepower these have? It looks like the ones on older cars, maybe a bit larger. I have a spare, so if anyone knows what kind of power and amps these things make let me know. I'm not sure I would want to make an electric riding mower, as these old gas pots work pretty well. Most of the problems I have are with the other parts of the mower, not the engine.

The little automatic tranny goes haywire, the mower deck on my Sears had so much steel welded in to it to keep it from falling apart I doubt there is much left of the original design. I made all three of the bearing brackets out of steel pipe because I got tired of replacing the $27.00 cast pot aluminium junk every year. The morons put zerts on the bearing/blade holders, but they left the covers on the bearings so there was no way they ever got any grease. God, what idiots. I greased the crap out of the things, but it just leaked out of a little hole in the side. I thought this was normal until one blew up and I noticed their moronic design. When I replaced the thing I took the cover off the inside of the bearing, but it still ended up breaking in less than two years. After three years and fixing 4 of these I built my own. They never failed after that. I figure the pot metal and the thin sides flexed until it came apart. The mower deck looked like 18 gauge sheet metal and it bent very easy, so I had to fix it too. The engine never needed anything but oil, filters, gas and batteries, go figure????? Good luck!

bad

« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 04:23:53 AM by badmoonryzn »