Author Topic: Best arrangement to wind stator  (Read 1102 times)

waterleat

Best arrangement to wind stator
« on: November 18, 2006, 12:50:02 AM »
I have purchased Hugh's plans and propose to build the 8' machine but in reading this board several posts are suggesting alterations

• plans are for 12 mags 10 coils - but most of you use 9 coils

• and others suggest widening air gap as the generator is stalling the blades.  I think you say it is because mags are "too strong" and stalling occurs.

I have not settled for anything but I had proposed to use the metric sized magnets

Other info that might help discussion

• my mean wind speed is quoted as 5.8m/s at 10m because there are houses and trees about perhaps I should use 5m/s (South coast UK)

• Voltage not decided if I choose 24v or 48V I'm not sure on how to use it as appliances are 12V

• « Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 12:50:02 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
    Re: Best arrangement to wind stator
    « Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 01:37:26 AM »
    Which version of Hugh's plans do you have? I think the later ones have an alternative winding for 9 coil 3 phase.

If you are totally inexperienced then it will be easier for you to follow the plans and use the 10 coil winding. All the coils are connected the same and the chances of a mistake are minimal.

If you prefer to keep the rectifier off the tower then it is much more convenient to use the 3 phase winding and bring 3 leads down instead of 10. You will need to be able to connect 3 coils in series correctly, but it is easy enough.

If you have the very early plans, the 12v windings were fine, but the 24v and 48v were stalling especially with the imperial magnets and Hugh has altered the number of turns to correct this.

There is no significant difference between the 10 coil 5 phase winding and the 9 coil 3 phase, just a choice to be made on grounds of your ability and where you want the rectifier.

If all your loads are 12v then you would probably be better off with the 12v version, but in every other respect the 24 or 48v will be a better option.

If you have the very early version of the plans then you may wish to check with Hugh for any updates. I think they are on his website somewhere.

I know he has given the 3 phase winding details here but I have no chance of finding it.

Flux

« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 01:37:26 AM by Flux »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
    « Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 06:29:36 AM »
    See if this works

Voltage    wires in hand metric turns    metric size    US turns    US size

12VDC     3    25turns     1.60mm            27turns       14AWG

24 VDC    2    50 turns    1.40mm            50 turns     15 AWG

48 VDC    1    90 turns    1.50mm            100 turns    15 AWG.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 06:29:36 AM by Flux »

waterleat

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 07:18:34 AM »
    Thank you flux for your replies

You asked me several questions

Yes I have got the latest plans, I bought them direct from Hugh last weekend.

No I have not built a PMG before so yes i am totally inexperienced but the plans do look easy to follow. I had not thought of using it as 5 phase (so used to saying 3 phase and the idea of star and delta windings). That fits better with having the rectifiers at the bottom of the tower.

I think I will go for the 24V as lights can be in series and power loss is less in cable run back to the house.

I will build it and see what power comes out before i go for inverters to 240VAC.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 07:18:34 AM by waterleat »

The Crazy Noob

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 07:37:33 AM »
    quick question:

with 'mean windspeed', do you mean: average windspeed or somehting else which I don't know the word of (my native language is Dutch...), see example:

the average is: (1+3+4+8+9)/5 which is 5

the [mean?] is: the middle number (so the third number) which is 4

... or something else?

« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 07:37:33 AM by The Crazy Noob »

KEG

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 09:07:00 AM »
    Waterleat:

Take a look at the 10' mill plan in the same book, same rotor disk and stator mold just 9 coils and made for 24Volt hope that helps.

KEG

« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 09:07:00 AM by KEG »

AbyssUnderground

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 03:53:04 PM »
    Mean=Average

Your interpretation of "mean" is the "median" which is the middle number in a string of numbers.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 03:53:04 PM by AbyssUnderground »