Author Topic: bicycle anemometers  (Read 1510 times)

kbondo

bicycle anemometers
« on: December 08, 2006, 07:41:19 PM »
Hi:

I am doing a project where I am interested in measuring wind speed and turbulence at a variety of trees used by bats. I need to record wind velocities of a minimum of 0.1-0.2 msec.

Do you know if the Sigma Sport Targus bicycle odometer can measure in units this small or if there is any other bicycle odometer on the market comaprable to it which I can use to measure these small turbulences? Does anyone have any suggestions for building an anemometer which can record low wind-speeds?

-Kristin

« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 07:41:19 PM by (unknown) »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
Re: bicycle anemometers
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 03:16:44 PM »
  I suppose you're refering to:

http://www.otherpower.com/anemom2.html

You could make one with larger cups, longer

arms.

I've made a HAWT with plastic blades that was

sensitive enough that would turn 1 revolution

per 3 ft. a second. You would need an optical

sensor to record the revolutions to the odometer

You could program the odometer so that it would

think it had a very very large wheel...

For example when the odometer said 5 mph.

the windspeed would be 1/5 mph.

( :>) Norm.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 03:16:44 PM by Norm »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 04:14:30 PM »
More magnets/R will make it more sensitive.

I used 2x the magnets for a low RPM project or 2.

G-
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 04:14:30 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Nando

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 02:33:53 PM »
To use a bike odometers as wind meter is necessary define how many pulses per meter/sec are required to be shown in the odometer that reads the equivalent to MPH or KPH.

Most odometers have 1 pulse per wheel revolution and with the wheel diameter input into the odometer then the equivalent velocity is displayed.

Assuming a 26 inch diameter = Pi*D = 3.14 * 26 = 81.68 inches = 81.68 * .0254 meter/inch = 2.07 meter per wheel revolution.

At 0.1 meter/sec the equivalent KPH is 0.1 m/s * 3600 sec/hour = 360 meter per hour or 0.36 KPH.

At 1 m/s then the display will show 3.6 KPH = 2.2369 MPH.

So to obtain a practical reading, the odometer ( internal odometer capabilities) needs to receive 10 pulses per revolution of the anemometer wheel, and mentally divide by ten which can be done moving the dot to one place to the left of the display.

At 0.1 m/s the wind has extremely low power and it is difficult to have a wheel that turns well, so here is the main problem that if it is solved, then the pulse detector needs not to present a load to the anemometer and in this case the easiest way is to use a wheel with 10 holes for a photo sensitive detector to receive the light interruptions the dark material of the wheel presents during the rotation of it.

Anemometer wheel requires a extremely low friction bearings, mostly like the bearings that a micro-ampere D'Arsnoval movement may have and of course protected from higher winds that may damage the bearings.

Another one is a magnetic bearings but that is another project with its own difficulties and behaviors.

Good luck with your experiment,

Nando

« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 02:33:53 PM by Nando »