Author Topic: ? for Dan B & Ed @ Wind Stuff or Hugh.  (Read 1549 times)

Jerry

? for Dan B & Ed @ Wind Stuff or Hugh.
« on: December 10, 2006, 04:34:50 AM »
I have 2 of Hughs books but there must be another I'm missing.

His book that describes the construction of the 4 FT. blade wind genny?

I would like to test his 4 ft blade on a Garbogen or small dual rotor machine.

What is the TSR of the blade as recamended for his 4 ft machine?

Dan or ED Have you ever had the time to fly my plastic blades yet?

If your like me time is in rare supply.

I would like to fly a set of the hand carved 4FT Hugh blades but can't find the time to carve my own and I realy would like them to be built corectly. I've never carved a set of would blades so my version would not be a good representation of what the correct built blade could do.

In 2004 the question was posed on this board. "What is the TSR of the Jerry Blades".

Ed responded with calculations and stated the TSR was between 6 to 7 so he settled on a TSR of 6.5. Is Houghs blade near that or could it be carved to that #?

The Jerry blade is 49"s Hughs blade is 48"s. I thought these might be close enough in size?

Thanks Guys. Just had some curyosity about this for a long time.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 04:34:50 AM by (unknown) »

scoraigwind

• www.scoraigwind.co.uk
Re: ? for Dan B & Ed @ Wind Stuff or Hugh.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 12:17:07 AM »
The four foot plans are in my axial plans editions since about 3 years back.  There now are also plans for a 10 footer and a 12 footer in last year's (the latest) edition.

The blades are designed with a tip speed ratio 5 in mind.  I use a low tip speed ratio for small diameter machine because they tend to have problems with starting.  For example in this case the bearing seals are a bit of a problem in low winds.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 12:17:07 AM by scoraigwind »
Hugh Piggott scoraigwind.co.uk

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 08:34:30 AM »
Hi Jerry -

I never built an alternator for them...  we have run them years ago on a single rotor machine we made which was interesting -you probably remember that.  The definitely did sort of 'self furl' on that machine - we hit a max rpm of 1200 which they would not exceed on that alternator.  Of course -every alternator or generator would load them  up differently and their behavior would be different.

We also gave a set to another fellow who ran them on an ametek tape drive motor for a while - they seemed well suited to that task.  Then too - they seemed to limit rpm by themselves.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 08:34:30 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

wayne

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 09:23:35 AM »
Jerry

I made these wood blade some time ago for Hugh's 4 foot plans.Never could find the parts and now have his updated version, might try again. But anyhow just yesterday I put them on my ametek 40 volt drive.Looks good but no wind.Will post some results once I get some wind. Some weeks ago all my turbines got damaged from bad storm, thought better to put up fast one. These blades are fun to build.

Wayne

« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 09:23:35 AM by wayne »

Jerry

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 12:30:32 PM »
Thanks Hugh.

I would asume then my blades at a TSR of 6.5 would have a harder time with startup?

What are the angles of your 4ft blade? Are the plans for the 4ft still in the latest edition?

Thanks again Hugh.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 12:30:32 PM by Jerry »

Jerry

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 12:35:09 PM »
Hi Dan B.

I know the original blades I sent you did not have Mike Mods and those did stall bad. However the Mike Mod blades don't seem to have that stall isue. The rpms seem to go quite high.

Do you have in stock Hughs book that encludes the plans for his 4 FT blade?

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 12:35:09 PM by Jerry »

Jerry

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 12:37:33 PM »
Hi Wayne.

Do you have any pictures of the building prosses?

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 12:37:33 PM by Jerry »

wayne

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 07:02:13 PM »
Jerry

Not really just the finished blades. They are up on the tower right now, but did make a spare blade and in basement somewhere. I can send you a pic in the next few days, just let me know. These were my first blades and always scared me, after it was fun and made bigger ones now.It makes lots of mess and having good tools really helps.

Wayne

« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 07:02:13 PM by wayne »

Jerry

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 08:29:45 PM »
Well I thought I'd try a wood blade. I found a 2"X6" in the wood shop. Its kinda ruff and has a couple nots but this is just a trial learning sesion so I don't want to waist a good pice of wood.

I'm trying to follow the directions in one of Hughs books (Wind power Workshop) and scall that to 4ft. Wish it was listed in inches.

I'm making the blades 24 " long. They will be about 5.5" at the root and 2" at the tip. I'll do some sawing, cuting, carving and sanding but I have a feeling with my skills and tools they'll work as good as a square wheel.

Oh well I have wood heat so they may be a fancy piece of fire wood.

Wish me luck. Thats one think I like about my plastic blades they are 100% the same, exact copies so with a good assemble ballance never seems to be a problem.

It also looks like my plastic blades have more usable blade surface all the way down to the root?

If I ever get the wood blades done I'll post a couple pics so yall can laugh and tell me were I went wrong.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 08:29:45 PM by Jerry »

windstuffnow

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 09:38:10 PM »
  Hi Jerry,

I haven't had time to play with them, although their still sitting by my desk waiting for the opportunity.   Shoot me an email and I can get you the numbers for a 4ft blade at a given tsr ( station, drop, width etc ).   If you have a band saw it will be fairly simple to get the basics cut out.

Sorry for the late reply, my internet service provider has been off for a few days and I've been doing a major email catch up.

Let me know...

« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 09:38:10 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

Jerry

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 10:36:45 PM »
Thanks Ed.

I think Hugh said the TSR is 5. Dou you know the diameter of the magnet disc and is this machine a single rotor?

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 10:36:45 PM by Jerry »