Author Topic: Tower design tiltup  (Read 1104 times)

thefinis

Tower design tiltup
« on: January 11, 2007, 04:09:40 PM »
Well I keep getting a little closer to actually making power and the next major step is a real tower. I want to build a tilt up tower much like the one pictured below. I copied the pic and jimovonz description of it as a close example of what I am hoping for. I have 33 ft lenghts of 4 inch well casing and 35 ft long 12 inch wide at base utility poles to play with.

The 8m side poles are 2m into the ground. The pole in the middle is 10m. The engineer at the local lines company told me that a standard 8m power pole embeded 2m into the ground was rated for a 6kN lateral load at the top. This seems a lot to me and I think his specs relate to a guyed pole (probably using the standard screw anchor). I have three guy wires/screw anchors on this pole and I don't think anything short of a  hurricane is gonna move it. I've tited it up/down by myself with over 200Kg on the end with no drama (used a come-a-long and a 200l drum filled with water on the short end as ballast)

What I wanted to do was use 4 inch pipe in the middle of 2 poles and mount the turbine on top of the pipe. All the turbine height will be above the end of the pipe so its height would be added to pipe length. I have a good idea of how I am planning on building this tower but hoped that some of ya'll with more experience or better at engineering might have some good advice.

The questions are

Where and how would you guy it?

Would guys at the top of the pipe and on the top of the support poles be enough?

Should I guy at the pivot point or away from it?

How high up would you pivot it?

Any reasons why it would be better to weld on a bracket or drill a hole in the pipe for the pivot shaft?

Other than the pivot point where and how to fasten pipe to poles?

Now for some of the figures that you will want. Turbine is a vawt with a 13 ft diameter and should be 8-16 ft high. Plan to start with 8 and then may add a second layer. Slow speed 1 tsr or slower and will weight around 300-500 lbs total with  ½  to 2/3 of that weight being in the blades and supports. Tree level is about 20 ft.

My idea at the moment is this

2 poles at least 6 ft in the ground

pivot point at 25 ft above ground

15-20 ft of pipe above pivot depending on guying needs and counter balancing

extra pipe added on bottom of main pipe to reach to near ground level

welded bracket so pipe is above pivot shaft when pivoting.

Cross braces as needed between poles so pipe will not go over center when raising

Guy lines at or near pivot point and as near top of pipe as possible

Finis

« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 04:09:40 PM by (unknown) »

Nando

Re: Tower design tiltup
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 09:48:37 AM »
Finis:

This is the method we have used to fly some of the wind mills.

We place the posts at 2 to 3 meters, depending on the ground conditions.

Some times we were able to get 15 meters posts.

We have used a hand winch to bring the mill down and the guy wires just below the blades tip, th e top of the pole we installed pipes for the mill and the slip rings to bring the power and some times Up controlling signals.

Easy to install and to bring down/up.

Nando

« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 09:48:37 AM by Nando »

vawtman

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 03:29:29 PM »
Hi Finis

Are you planning on a driveshaft for the turbine?

If so then you could run twin tubes up to your height.Sorta like the pic.

The center one would have the driveshaft and bearings attached and pinned at the bottom and at the top have spring pins so that it would lock in after its winched up.That would give you pretty strong overall tower and its needed.

Remember to leave room for a large gear or pulley at the base.

Im planning on a tri or quad type tower with a work platform on top.Been lazy and working on a smaller rooftop design lately.

Its supposed to get real cold finally so ice fishin may finally arrive a month late.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 03:29:29 PM by vawtman »

desertcoyote

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 08:13:10 PM »
I just copied the bergy 63' tilt up design using svhedule 10 black iron, works good, 3*4 guyes though. The butt joining the sch 10 was done using inner and outte sleaves. In the end, probably would have worked as cheap and as well with the bergy kit that has the pipe with the bell ends.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 08:13:10 PM by desertcoyote »