Author Topic: Anyone interested in some blades?  (Read 1630 times)

paradigmdesign

Anyone interested in some blades?
« on: February 25, 2007, 04:45:16 PM »
I am in the process of building some molds for a 10ft dia set of composite blades, and was wondering if anyone here would be interested in testing them on their units.  I do not have a site at the moment (or turbine) that I can use.  They won't be ready for a month or two, but I was just seeing if there was any interest on here.  I would be able to send them out for free, to be tested for a year / year and a half, and after that If you want to keep them, just pay me for the materials and shipping and they are yours.

I will have more info/pics of them soon, I was just trying to see who, if anyone would be interested.

Anyone who is interested can post here, or email me at paradigmpower_05@yahoo.com

« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 04:45:16 PM by (unknown) »

coldspot

Re: Anyone interested in some blades?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 10:22:16 AM »
Thats very kind of you to be willing to share like that !!!!!

I'd be very interested but I'm ready for that size, yet!

But, I'd love to try some smaller ones. Like 4' or 6' maybe even 8' ones. As where I'm at in my R.E. right now I don't really know what size I'll need.

I do have many gen's to put up, as soon as shed/shop gets done or closer to done and ready.

A couple of 2 HP, 3 phase conversions done and ready but lacking only blades n hubs.

Tower's about ready to go up also, have the stuff but lacking only the time and unfrozen/muddy ground at site of shed/shop. (snowing again right now, ^$#@^&).

What are your blades hub design?

Posting a few pic's and more info about hub set-up would be helpful.

I'd be willing to pay shipping for testing some.

Thanks

:)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 10:22:16 AM by coldspot »
$0.02

electronbaby

• Windsine.org
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 02:07:33 PM »
i would be willing to test. do they have twist taper?..or are they straight/ constant pitch?... any plans for larger diameters?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 02:07:33 PM by electronbaby »
Have Fun!!!  RoyR KB2UHF

luckeydog

• Colorado Wind Power
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 03:07:55 PM »
I would be interested my alternator is almost done I just have to paint it.

email me at bryan@coloradowindpower.com  

what tsr are the blades designed for.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 03:07:55 PM by luckeydog »

Nando

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 04:01:37 PM »
Can you detail the blades that you can produce ?.

Some people may be interested if they have a good twist, these for a Torque Pitch Controlled wind Turbine.

Also, can you detail the building process ?.

like spar and the hub attachment area and thickness.

Thanks

Nando

« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 04:01:37 PM by Nando »

paradigmdesign

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 04:19:15 PM »
They are a linear twist and taper,  about 18deg at most and 1 at the tip.  I am at my PC that does not have the numbers for the blade on it, but it is like 2.6" at the tip and 7" - 8" inches at the widest.

I am also working on a 14.5 foot blade, there are pics of that plug up on this site.  That will be a little longer until that blade is completed.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 04:19:15 PM by paradigmdesign »

paradigmdesign

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 04:25:14 PM »
I was thinking about sending them with a blank steel disk with a center mark to allow owners to match it to their units, or just figuring out a standard bearing type to use, and set it up for that.  The hub for the unit will also be composite, and be similar to the hubs seen on the MW units (circular root sections etc.) but will not have pitching blades.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 04:25:14 PM by paradigmdesign »

paradigmdesign

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 04:39:43 PM »
I will have a full description of the blades up by Tue, Feb 27'th.  There is a total of 17 degrees of twist to the tip.  I belive the root is 3.75" arround.  As far as the TSR, it can be adjusted per order by mounting them on the hubs at different angles.  With a 0 degree twist at the tip it is a TSR of 7, and it can be slowed by ordering them stalled by a degree or two.

The blades will be produced by the Vacuum Infusion Process, and may be either a FCRP (Foam Core Reinforced Plastic) , or use a standard I-beam spar, I would like to try both.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 04:39:43 PM by paradigmdesign »

luv2weld

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 08:51:52 AM »
Please sign me up!!!! I already have one 10 footer flying and another in the works.

Also a larger diameter in the planning stage. Will be willing to build an alternator to match any blades you want tested.

Ralph

« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 08:51:52 AM by luv2weld »
The best way to "kill time" is to work it to death!

cdog

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 07:01:37 PM »
lesismore3@hotmail.com  

This is the last part of my project. I have been pulling my hair out as to buy cedar ones from this site, ebay glass ones or try and make a set myself.

I would gladly try a set of yours,can you give more details as to how in depth of information you will be wanting to get. I guess I'm saying do you want to hear "Hey there fine", or "no there junk". Or will the people you choose to send them to be required to have specific data logging equiptment?

This seems very gracious of you, I hope it pays off for you in the end,

Cdog.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 07:01:37 PM by cdog »

paradigmdesign

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 07:36:31 AM »
I would like to thank everyone for their interest.  The response was better than I thought it would be.  

There will be some pics of the plug up by next week.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 07:36:31 AM by paradigmdesign »

paradigmdesign

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 07:51:51 AM »
Quick question, for those of you with 10 footers already up and running. About how much do your blades weigh, and what is there dimentions?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 07:51:51 AM by paradigmdesign »

luv2weld

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 08:40:19 AM »
The set of blades that I shipped to New York were 10.5 inches wide at the base tapering to 2.17 inches at the tip, 60 inches long and 1.58 thickness. They weighed 22 pounds packed in bubble wrap. So I would guess that each blade weighed 6 1/2 pounds . They were made of knot-free pine. The blades that I'm flying right now are 8 inches wide at the base, tapering to 2 3/4 at the tip, but a thickness of 1 3/4 and length of 60 inches. I have not had them weighed, but I would guess 6 pounds or less each. If you need exact measurements, I can take a blade or 2 to town and have them weighed at UPS. In case you haven't shipped any blades before, you are charged at a higher rate because of the size. We were charged at the 30 pound rate even though they did not weigh that much.

Ralph

« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 08:40:19 AM by luv2weld »
The best way to "kill time" is to work it to death!

paradigmdesign

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 01:06:23 PM »
That won't be nessissary, I was just trying to get a ballpark weight figure for the wooden ones.  Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 01:06:23 PM by paradigmdesign »

tembelejderha

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 10:23:55 AM »
I am building a 10 footer now, and I will build at least 2 more with my cousins, for use at their homes. I go with Piggott's designs. I will gladly test your blades and send you any data I can obtain from them. In fact I am planning to carve some blades with varying angle of twist and chord length, I'll post the results here once they are up and running.

The problem is, I am living in Turkey and the shipment may be costy, I assume that you live in the US. But I am willing to pay for the shipment, testing (and using) blades for free is enough benefit already! :)

Thanks for your generous offer!

(I sent you an e-mail for the details.)

« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 10:23:55 AM by tembelejderha »