Author Topic: single phase  (Read 823 times)

modernmarvelinspired

single phase
« on: March 22, 2007, 03:55:13 AM »
I was wondering, now that i've corrected my single phase experiment, when I hook up to a riding lawn mower battery or a deep cycle battery from my fishing boat, it sure gets hard to turn after about 120 rpm's.  It is charging the battery at that level, but my arm gets tired pretty fast trying to crank the rotor.  So, I attatched my dewalt 18v drill and set it on the lowest torque setting, even it struggles very very hard after about 150 rpm.  I'm considering hugh's 8 foot blades, but i'd like to build and try his 4 foot ones first.  All i'm looking for is around 300 watts if i'm lucky. Right now at 150 rpms the alternator charges a 12v battery around 14vdc at 2.5 amps.  Is the torque it takes to spin this sucker around 300 or 400 rpm going to stall out Hugh's 4 footer, or even the 8 footer.  Or is there alot more power in 20 mph winds than i think there is?  I have considered buying 5 or 6 blade setups for the torque issue i seem to have.  I live in Oklahoma , and it is freaking windy here all the time, so strong winds is not a problem, sure somedays it doesn't blow, but for the most part it's always blowing.  Today March 21st, 07 the winds gusted at 50, and were averaging 30.  Thankyou once again for any advice friends!!

« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 03:55:13 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: single phase
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 12:35:17 AM »
If you are prepared to charge 24v batteries then it may match Hugh's 4 ft prop fairly well. 150 rpm is very slow, you will probably stall at 12v.

You will loose control of the thing with 8ft blades.

You can use it at 12v if you increase the distance between the coils and the magnets or you can connect the coils series/parallel, preferably using 2 rectifiers.

You could try TLG blades for lower speed and more torque, don't try those things from Hydrogen Appliances and similar high speed 6 blade things.

Flux

« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 12:35:17 AM by Flux »

modernmarvelinspired

Re: single phase
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 09:10:35 PM »
Thankyou flux for your input, I think you are right about the 24v idea, now I just need to put a plan together for a 24vdc inverter.  I may consider tlg's stuff as well.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 09:10:35 PM by modernmarvelinspired »