Author Topic: ? for DanB?  (Read 1493 times)

Jerry

? for DanB?
« on: April 11, 2007, 07:27:47 PM »
Hi DanB.

Magnets and blades arived yesterday. Thanks abunch.

What is the recamended root angle for Arts blades.

Allso, I think a may have an idea for down wind aplication that keeps the blades into the wind.

On 2 of my wind generaters, I used very large bearing to acctully allow the top 10 feet of the mast to turn. The geny was sucured to the mast. The mast was 1.5" schedual 80 pipe. I centered the mast inside a 3" schedual 40 pipe. I made an adaptor and placed a bearing at the top and bottom of the schedual 40 pipe and used a large bearing to hold the 1.5" inside the 3".

This worked real well, allowing the 1.5" mast to turn freely inside the 3".

I'll do the samething with the down wind genny and secure the tail boom just bellow the blades on the mast.

It will be down wind but allso have a tail boom and wing to keep the blades into the wind. This should work good for Arts plastic blades. No chance they'll ever hit the tower.

Again thanks DanB.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 07:27:47 PM by (unknown) »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Re: ? for DanB?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 01:58:19 PM »
Hi Jerry -

Id set them for about 2 deg of pitch at the tips.  Could be they're allready drilled for that with the hubs we sent - but I can't remember.  You might have to set that up yourself.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 01:58:19 PM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

SamoaPower

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 02:16:10 PM »
Jerry,

I don't believe you have to do anything to have a downwind machine align to the wind. The "seeking force" of the air rotor does this automatically.

That's one of the advantages for a downwind congiguration - no tail feathers needed. It does somewhat depend on the distance from the yaw axis to the rotor but it isn't critical.

Personally, I prefer downwind.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 02:16:10 PM by SamoaPower »

Jerry

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 05:49:54 PM »
Hi SamoaPower.

I tryed to post this responce last night but my posting was denied, it said I had posted to many times. I hate that LOL.

I only have one typing finger and very littel board time. I'll try again.

This is the F&P in the bed of my S-10 pu, for testing. since the F&P is set up like a brake drum I want to fly it with the drum to the wind to keep the rain out.

Since its shaft is short the blades will set close to the tower. I have flown this genny down wind but it will flip and fly up wind during wind direction change.

This is why I've come up with the rear tail for the down wind genny.

DanB and I have talked about this floping problem down wind machines have and this will be a fix for that.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 05:49:54 PM by Jerry »