Author Topic: Digital Anemometer advice please  (Read 1356 times)

gotwind2

• ben[at]gotwind.org
    • Gotwind - The Renewable Energy Resource
Digital Anemometer advice please
« on: August 15, 2007, 07:19:55 PM »
Has anyone had experience of using one of the hand held digital anemometers?

Some look like they would need a stiff breeze to even get a reading with such a small turbine - the '3 cups' type (below) look like a better option to me.

I want to take rough wind speed values by my Ametek wind gen and compare against output.

Is there a suggested model that someone could advise please.

n.b - I am in the U.K

Cheers

Ben.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 07:19:55 PM by (unknown) »

Muiller

Re: Digital Anemometer advice please
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 02:10:33 PM »
Hi there

I dont know anything about them,

But I was wondering the same thing as i would buy one if they were any good.

Im in Ireland so if you find one and it is good could you let me know please

Thanks,

Adam

« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 02:10:33 PM by Muiller »

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 10:44:53 PM »
Hi Ben,

I have a Kestrel 1000 hand held anemometer and I am impressed with it. It is extremely sensitive and accurate from very low wind to extremes. It is very compact and without the cups like on other manufactures slips right into it's own hard sheath and into your pocket. I sound like a commercial and I am in no way affiliated with the company, just a very nice product. Search Kestrel Instruments and there are many models with additional functions besides. Just my opinion for what it's worth. Dave B.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 10:44:53 PM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

defed

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 05:19:38 PM »
hi, new member here, and as you can see by responding to a 1 yr + old post, i have been searching the forum for information.

i am looking for a reasonably priced anemometer that records AVERAGE wind speed since it has been turned on.

i found a hand held LaCrosse that will do it, but not sure if it's weather proof to be left on top of my pole for wks.

there is a LaCrosse weather station that appears to do everything BUT average speed (WS 9035).

also found a model by inspeed ( i think ), that does average speed, but it uses a display designed for bike riding that disregards wind speeds of zero...so if you have a wind speed of 20 mph for an hr, and 0 mph for an hr, it would tell you an avg of 20 mph instead of 10 mph.

just want a inexpensive meter that will tell me current speed, max speed, and avg speed.

thanks,

Dave

« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 05:19:38 PM by defed »