Author Topic: 6' - 7' (~2.0-2.3 m) wind turbine recommendation  (Read 1094 times)

Calle

6' - 7' (~2.0-2.3 m) wind turbine recommendation
« on: August 16, 2007, 09:37:56 AM »
Hi folks!

I wonder if you on the forum could give me some recommendation in this matter of choosing hardware.

i recently completed a induction motor conversion into a wind turbine, made a 6 feet 3 blade wood prop which i am really proud of. it starts fine thanks to some of you on the irc-channel that gave me good input ideas. the output is as i suspected low, but who cares, it worked!

i am thinking of building a new "real" one with stator and dual magnet rotors as many of you suggested, but i tried and failed to see through the cloud in what to make. surely some of you must have a well working concept for a turbine diameter of around 2 meters.

wind conditions are an average wind of 5 m/s always from the west.

due to Swedish Government rules, in this case it has to be near the house, and also because of wind conditions.

i never! have more than 15 m/s in wind, never in 5 years.

it would be fun to hear your ideas, thoughts and experiences. i am a newbie, but are already severely hooked! my purpose for this turbine is to have fun, build a well working wind mill. output is not the main issue, but of course its fun to get output!

best regards

Calle

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 09:37:56 AM by (unknown) »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Re: 6' - 7' (~2.0-2.3 m) wind turbine
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 05:42:38 AM »
Calle,

One could not go past Hugh Piggot's plans

http://www.forcefieldmagnets.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_29&products_id=29

The book is even available from the hosts of this board, how much you achieve with 5m/s is a product of blabe diamiter etc but this book is your best starting point.

allan

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 05:42:38 AM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 07:07:06 AM »
Hugh's plans give details for a 2.4M diameter machine.

If you want to use a smaller prop you could increase the air gap to raise cut in speed for 1.8M. You may need to add some line resistance if you go for too low a cut in speed.

You could manage 1.8M with a dual rotor using 8 magnets instead of 12 to cut the initial cost.  Windstuff Ed I think has a design for about 1.8M using his wedge magnets so that is another possibility ( Windstuffnow.com or something like it)

If your wind is always from one direction it will be fine close to the house as long as it is on the windward side. At 5m/s don't expect much more than about 80W from a 1.8M machine, but it will rise rapidly with rise of wind speed.

Any increase in diameter will help significantly with low wind output, I would try for 2M or even 2.4 if you can get away with it. Don't try the 8 magnet option if you want to exceed 1.8M, it is about at the limit, 12 magnets gives you far more options in the long run but at a higher initial cost.

Flux

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 07:07:06 AM by Flux »

Calle

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 08:12:49 AM »
thanks allan and flux. i will check Hugh's plans. the wind average i mentioned is during a long period of time. when the wind blows its often more than 5 m/s but som days it is calm. actually, your description flux was all i asked for, I'll read more, perhaps i will post more questions when its not so clear anymore.

/Calle
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 08:12:49 AM by Calle »