Author Topic: Sideway Coils and Magnets  (Read 750 times)

hapuna beach

Sideway Coils and Magnets
« on: September 06, 2007, 03:21:20 AM »
I'm surprised there havn't been more questions about the smaller mills that were constructed this past summer; first in Washington state, and also in France from Hugh's recent seminar. They seem to defy normal construction methods. Just curious if anyone else has experimented with these. They seem simpler to make, and if I remember right, DanB stated it worked quite well.

From Hugh's site: http://www.scoraigwind.com/france07/index.html

"The construction is different from the older plans in that the magnets are mounted 'sideways' to increase the space in the middle, and the stator is mounted behind the magnet rotor (downwind) instead of in front on the windward side.  This is simpler to do and it all fits together nicely."

What other advantages//disadvantages are there to this form of build?

Thanks,

Hapuna

« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 03:21:20 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Sideway Coils and Magnets
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 12:51:55 AM »
For the little 4ft machine it makes a lot of sense to turn the magnets round. With the conventional way there is very little space at the centre of the stator. I have built versions and I built my own hub. When I suggested the version with one magnet rotor and a spinning plate to uprate it to 5ft I realised that this would be extremely difficult using the suggested trailer hub.

Other than that there is probably not much point in turning the magnets sideways. The ideal magnets for these axial machines are wedge shaped. Rectangular probably work out with the lowest resistance with the long sides radial, but with the little 4ft machine I don't think the difference in resistance is very much and the ease of mounting the stator is a bigger factor.

For anyone attempting a 2 layer winding then I suspect it would work out easier and better with the magnets turned sideways as it would give more room for the overlap at the centre.

Flux

« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 12:51:55 AM by Flux »

hiker

• BIG DOG
Re: Sideway Coils and Magnets
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 03:43:37 AM »
think ile try a torrus
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 03:43:37 AM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA