Author Topic: Some doubts on materials..  (Read 944 times)

Odinson

Some doubts on materials..
« on: December 17, 2007, 01:01:18 PM »
First of all I´d like to thank everyone on this discussion,but most of all Danb and Danf,their work has gone worldwide!!

here in Brasil we have isolated comunities that are already experiencing the benefits of their work,but I have some few questions(and a lot of doubts!!)

It´s a benefital work as long.

first I must tell you folks that my english is not so good,so,please be patiente!

second ,due to enviromental conditions, I´ve had a strong oxidation on my wind turbines(we have commonly here 110ºF degrees,and 90% umidity,and very "salty" winds,but constant almost all yhe time at 9 m/s,never less than 4 m/s..it would be 20 miles/hour to 50 miles per hour!!much different from you(I´ve never seen a snowfall im my 45 yeras of life!!))

I intend to use stainless anti-magnet steel as base for my magnets,is that possible??and for the rest of my turbine as well.

I´ve no trouble with the rest,but as stainless steel is quite expensive around here,i´d like to be sure before making the buying.

Third,I´d like a schema of low cost regulators,to prevent overcharging batteries.

Thanks to you all!!!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 01:01:18 PM by (unknown) »

disaray1

Re: Some doubts on materials..
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 06:53:55 AM »
 Odinson- stainless will work just fine for everything EXCEPT the magnet rotors. The must be iron or steel, or else you'll have no magnetic circuit!

Try epoxy coated magnets, and powder coat the rotors like the Dans do.

David

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 06:53:55 AM by disaray1 »

gotwind2

• ben[at]gotwind.org
    • Gotwind - The Renewable Energy Resource
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 08:12:25 AM »
I believe magnetic stainless steel is available, I have some stainless magnetic tea spoons at least.

I quote:

"There are several families of stainless steels with different physical properties. A basic stainless steel has a 'ferritic' structure and is magnetic. These are formed from the addition of chromium and can be hardened through the addition of carbon (making them 'martensitic') and are often used in cutlery.

However, the most common stainless steels are 'austenitic' - these have a higher chromium content and nickel is also added. It is the nickel which modifies the physical structure of the steel and makes it non-magnetic".

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 08:12:25 AM by gotwind2 »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 08:21:26 AM »
Yes I must stress what David has said. Stainless steel should not be used for the magnet rotors, there are magnetic grades of stainless but they are not common and they are not good enough. If you can manage it, hot galvanised ( zinc coated)would be the best form of protection for the rotors. You would need to be a little careful  sticking the magnets on, but in your case I strongly advise you to completely pot the magnets in something capable of protecting them from the sea air. Polyester may not be the best choice.

Stainless for all the other work will be fine. Epoxy magnet coatings may be a little better than Nickel but I would back it up with additional potting. I worry more about the magnets than the steel magnet rotors.

Flux

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 08:21:26 AM by Flux »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 04:33:43 PM »

you can have some of my snow .
this fell yesterday.
30 cm. in about 6 hours.

perhaps you could contack a profesional painter in your area and ask what is the best
product available to you .

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 04:33:43 PM by electrondady1 »

vawtman

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 04:38:58 PM »
Hi Odinson,

Do you have access to epoxy/ureathane coatings there?The epoxy is the primer topcoated with ureathane and works awesome in harsh environs.

I use this to coat unbonded stainless.Also,the combo works great on steel or iron.

Just a thought.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 04:38:58 PM by vawtman »