Author Topic: Wind power formula  (Read 3813 times)

fcfcfc

Wind power formula
« on: February 03, 2008, 03:30:57 PM »
P = 0.5 x rho x A x Cp x V^3 x Ng x Nb

This formula is out there on the board and is well thought out in that it puts the different factors in there for the whole "power chain". But, what is the first .5???

The units were given as all metric, no feet or mph so where is it coming from... The .5 is not explained in the post, unless I missed it somewhere....

.....Bill

« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 03:30:57 PM by (unknown) »

finnsawyer

Re: Wind power formula
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 08:49:54 AM »
The 0.5 comes from the equation for the kinetic energy of a mass.  Check this link for a little discourse on the basic wind power equation.

http://www.fieldlines.com/comments/2008/1/30/041/53085/8#8

« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 08:49:54 AM by finnsawyer »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 10:28:43 AM »
Try the wind Calculator on this page

http://www.alton-moore.net/wind_calculations.html

It says its for blade carving but the information you get back when you press the calculate button is very valuable. Scroll down the page after you get the answers.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 10:28:43 AM by wooferhound »

fcfcfc

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 02:38:17 PM »
Hi: God, F=1/2MV^2, man, talk about having blinders on. Maybe that's what they call a brain fart... Thanks for zapping me back to Physics mode....
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 02:38:17 PM by fcfcfc »

fcfcfc

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 09:14:06 PM »
Hi Again:

Since you like to think about electrical concepts, here is a question on a finer point. A 3 phase gen star configured being loaded at 100 amps.

The same 3-phase gen being loaded at 100 amps but as a delta.

Now, voltages aside, how do you decide the wire size needed that will satisfy each scenario..??.. A star is basically, at least in a sense, a series connection. Delta parallel in a sense. The more continuous the current is in a wire the more it will heat, I.E. why DC will heat more than 60Hz VAC and the associated wire size recommendations are larger for DC VS single phase AC. My guess is that a star will be somewhere between 33% and 50% less demanding than pure DC current per phase wire and a delta would sit between 50% and 66% less demanding than steady state DC per phase wire. The reason for the range is that the times the wire is carrying current generated by itself in relation to when it is providing a path for the other two phases changes the resistance, as you noted in a different post, which will vary the current as well. The range on my part is the uncertainty of the effect of this changing state. I don't mean this to sound "static" in any sense, all three phases are changing their voltages in relation to each other constantly there by changing their associated currents constantly... etc.. etc.. I would think there should be a three phase wire gauge chart addressing this situation.... or at least correction multipliers...

« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 09:14:06 PM by fcfcfc »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 02:12:10 AM »
I can only assume that you are interested in the current in the alternator winding not the connecting leads.

Taking the case where the load is resistive ( normal operation not using rectifiers), for star the phase current will be 100A. For delta the phase current will be 100/1.73A

When you throw rectifiers and batteries into the equation things become complicated.

I don't even follow your logic about dc heating more than ac. 100A rms ac will have the same heating effect as 100Adc, that is the basis on which the rms values are derived.

Flux

« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 02:12:10 AM by Flux »

fcfcfc

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 11:39:22 AM »
Hi Flux: Yes, RMS implies the "average" and that is what one would think, but then, why do the recommended wire size charts for low voltage DC vary so much from 120-220 VAC wire charts..??.. If it is not a current issue over time variance "thing" then the only thing I can think of is from the power loss perspective, I.E. they use larger wire sizes to curb power loss at lower voltages not to avoid overheating..??..
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 11:39:22 AM by fcfcfc »

jmk

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 07:12:02 PM »
 Do they have calculators like that in standard? I haven't a clue when it comes to metric?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 07:12:02 PM by jmk »