Author Topic: It's flying  (Read 1008 times)

la7qz

It's flying
« on: February 25, 2008, 02:28:45 AM »
Hi

Here's my turbine temporarily strapped to the mizzen mast. The 2x4 is just there to make it easier to lash the alternator to the mast. The turbine is surprisingly quiet. Most of the time the only sound I can hear is a slight bearing rumble which is being amplified by the hollow wooden mast.

I need to take both masts down for repairs before I go sailing again and will then re-enforce the mizzen mast in this area. The aluminium plate behind the alternator will then be mounted on rubber dampers on a same size aluminium plate that will be bolted to the mast.

Cutin on this alternator is at 300 RPM, charging at approximately 5A at 400 RPM and 10A at 500. The most I've seen so far is 25A in gusts. The turbine has been running for a couple of weeks now and for the first time in 16 years of living afloat, I have more power than I know what to do with.

You'll notice that the wind turbine is not yawing. There simply isn't room for this, so the turbine will not be used under sail. It works fine at anchor. On longer sails, I'll be using a towed propeller spinning the alternator from an Air Marine turbine. (The only sensible use for an Air Marine, as I could not possibly live with the blade noise from these units.)

I also have a Kiss turbine http://www.kissenergy.com/that I will hoist in the rigging when I'm at anchor. Performance will be similar to the Duogen.

Owen

« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 02:28:45 AM by (unknown) »

TheCasualTraveler

Re: It's flying
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 08:05:20 PM »
Nice job. Makes me miss our sailboat. Does this mean you will be changing #3 of the Don't do rules?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 08:05:20 PM by TheCasualTraveler »

CmeBREW

Re: It's flying
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 12:21:42 PM »
Hey Owen,

Nice going on the mill. It looks like about 6 ft diameter I quess. Is there any cogging with that alternator? Does the mill start up fairly easy?  You should have a lot of friends with the boaters around you trying to bum some free charging power from your excess power production.  
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 12:21:42 PM by CmeBREW »