Author Topic: Paint for PVC blades  (Read 1684 times)

suitep123

Paint for PVC blades
« on: May 28, 2008, 04:05:06 AM »
Does anyone know of any spray paint or any other paint that would withstand the flex of PVC blades?  I have inquired to Rust-oleum and to Krylon.  Rust-oleum never bothered to answer.  Krylon said to try their Fusion paint, but made absolutely no recommendation.

I saw on the post from 2004 that someone recommended some brush on PVC primer.  

Has anyone painted their PVC blades with any success?

Thanks again.

Pauline

« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 04:05:06 AM by (unknown) »

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
Re: Paint for PVC blades
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 12:43:20 AM »
How about paint used on newer cars plastic bumpers? I have no idea about brands though...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 12:43:20 AM by Simen »
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)

stop4stuff

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 01:42:49 AM »
I've used some good paint that suits polycarbonate RC body shells from Plastikote - http://www.plasti-kote.co.uk
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 01:42:49 AM by stop4stuff »

kenputer

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 05:31:50 AM »
I have used the fusion paint and it holds up well,just make sure you give it a week to cure and should not be a problem.

ken
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 05:31:50 AM by kenputer »

TheCasualTraveler

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 05:32:10 AM »
     I just got a can of cheap spray paint and gave them two coats. After 4 months they didn't have a scratch or a crack. I don't think it's critical. Probably sanding and cleaning them before painting is more important.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 05:32:10 AM by TheCasualTraveler »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 05:44:26 AM »
you have to give the paint something to hang on to.

so proper surface preparation is a must.

sand the surface till it loses it's shine
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 05:44:26 AM by electrondady1 »

jmk

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 06:15:26 AM »
 Make sure you use paint prep to clean it. Avoid getting your bare fingers on it while, and after it's been cleaned. the oil from your skin will cause it to bubble, or peal. You can get paint in a spray can at the automotive stores just for plastic trim. I used it on the trim in the back window and it has held for over ten years.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 06:15:26 AM by jmk »

jmk

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 06:26:16 AM »
 I forgot to mention to use thin coats! When you put thick coats of paint on the outside dries before the inside. Then when the gas from the un dried paint goes to release it bubbles the dried outer layer. Then it will look like crap and peal too. The same for recoat times read the labile and do as they say. If you do use the plastic trim paint it is really thin and has lots of fumes. It dries real fast too. Don't paint in direct sunlight.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 06:26:16 AM by jmk »

jmk

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 06:36:17 AM »
 They sell flex additive for automotive paints to paint the rubber trim parts. You have to know how to mix it. The bottle will tell you how much to ad but you need to use less reducer in the paint when mixing. The guy working at the auto store will be able to tell you what to do if he is the paint mixer. It will be an expensive way to go but will be the best way. You will need to use compressed air and a paint gun. Plus know how to use the gun.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 06:36:17 AM by jmk »

CmeBREW

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 08:02:09 AM »
I've had great results with the Krylon Fusion paint as you said.

It even mentions PVC on the can in small print in the list of plastics you can paint.

My pvc blades have been flying all winter/spring even in much rain, and they still look great.  A few times during the winter I even hammered (with a hammer) a lot of ice of the blades and the paint still sticks fine.

I got mine at Wallyworld for about $4 a can.  I like to mix colors while spraying wet to get the color I want.

It is quite toxic smelling stuff though. Gave me a headache.

No need for a primer or sanding. I put on two light quick coats, letting it dry inbetween coats.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 08:02:09 AM by CmeBREW »