Author Topic: Will this work this way  (Read 1368 times)

tmcmurran

Will this work this way
« on: September 28, 2008, 03:13:21 PM »
I have been trying to find out if what I am planning to do can be done in the way I think it can.  I have submitted a small flow chart to both Xantrex and Southwest  that outlines a basic configuration that I feel will work, but would like to know if the Whisper controller will communicate properly with the Xantrex C60 to act as a diversion load to connected air or hot water elements.

I plan on setting this up in the next few weeks, and your advice would be appreciated.

Whisper 100

Whisper COntroller

Xantrex C60

Then from C60 one line to battery bank, second to diversion loads ie. air and water heating system.

Battery Bank to Xantrex Powerhub 1800 and battery bank to 6000/12000 watt inverter.  Powerhub is used to hardwire to internal supply.  This is an off-grid setup so protection is not required due to the utility pulling the lines and meter from my home.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 03:13:21 PM by (unknown) »

Todd a

Re: Will this work this way
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 09:19:02 AM »
cant you find a 12v DC heater somewhere?  That would simplify things a bit.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 09:19:02 AM by Todd a »

ADMIN

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 09:28:21 AM »
It's a little deceiving the way the wiring diagrams are shown in the Xantrex manuals.

A diversion load controller doesn't attach in line with the turbine DC output wires, it attaches directly to the battery bank! So it's diverting varying amounts of power right from the battery bank, not from the turbine. So unless you have a compelling reason for the C-60 to talk to the inverter and the whisper controller, it's a non-issue. All 3 components will do their jobs just fine without talking to each other at all.

ADMIN
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 09:28:21 AM by ADMIN »

tmcmurran

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 11:00:19 AM »
Here is the little flow chart I came up with.  

Since the whisper is a 3 phase with the controller holding the rectifier, I am thinking that I need to run from the Whisper to the Xantrex C60 then batteries/dump load and so on. The Whisper has a resistive dump on board, and I am trying to find out from Southwest if I can by-pass it into the Xantrex.  So far rhey have been pretty quite on the question.  I also sent a cc to Xantrex to see what they have to say.

I really think I have made this harder then I need to, but since I have spent the money I am pretty much stuck with it now.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 11:00:19 AM by tmcmurran »

richhagen

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 01:27:47 PM »
It looks like you are trying to use your C-60 as both a charge and diversion load controller at the same time.  It won't do that.  The output from the Whisper's controller would connect directly to the battery to charge the battery and the C-60 would be connected between the battery and the diversion load.  The C-60 would be set to run as a diversion controller with the internal jumpers and potentiometers for the voltage settings.  Rich
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 01:27:47 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

southpaw

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 01:35:12 PM »
I think you have the correct components but need to change the hookup to this.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 01:35:12 PM by southpaw »

tmcmurran

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 02:03:54 PM »
Thanks for that.  Looks like I need to sit and read the manuals a little more in detail.  I rather like the way the C60 acts as a controller over the Whisper.  I guess we learn a little each day, and never really stop. ;)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 02:03:54 PM by tmcmurran »

tmcmurran

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 02:06:05 PM »
This is what I first thought I needed to do.  Maybe I will just pull the Powerhub out of the loop.  No need for extra cable and drain.  Just wish the Whisper controller was a little more user friendly.

Thanks

« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 02:06:05 PM by tmcmurran »