Author Topic: Coil Turns  (Read 911 times)

Bigwheel

Coil Turns
« on: November 24, 2008, 01:36:40 PM »
Hi again,

Wanted to give a shout out and a big thanks to those who gave me a hand with my blades.  As I write this there in paint and I'll have to post pictures when I get home.  I brought all my gear to deer camp to work on it and ran into a snag with one of my coils for the stator.  I was hoping to get them cast this week before I head back home and keep the smell out of the house (My lovely wife will have me hanging from the pole insted).  Months ago I wound up two coils and later question myself on the center opening in which the magent will pass thru.  So I recently decided to open it up a little to reduce the chances of any induced voltage that may come up.  THE PROBLEM, I have 8 wounderful coils at 70 turns for a 24volt system and two that ended up being 65 and 66 turns.  This is all for the 10 foot machine.  Looking for some advise on what should I do.  Will it make that much of difference if I use one that is less?  Should I make the other 8 coils 65-66?  Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm thinking that it will take more RPM's to reach the charging voltage.  Also, by having one different coil would there be more heat generated in the stator from eddy currents as a result of a mismatched coil.  Just looking to find a solution to the problem.  I won't be able to get more wire so I'm forced to make due with what I have for know.  Let me know what options I have.  One last thing to mention, is that I have enough wire to make a splice and get the 70 turns but fear the a breakdown in the connection over time.  Let me know what you all think.  Thanks again Chad
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 01:36:40 PM by (unknown) »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Re: Coil Turns
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 06:42:55 AM »
So long as it's wired in star the slight difference in the number of windings won't hurt you at all.  
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 06:42:55 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

Bigwheel

Re: Coil Turns
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 06:55:18 AM »
Sounds like a winner, thanks for the info Dan.  Chad
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 06:55:18 AM by Bigwheel »