Author Topic: Magnet template  (Read 5279 times)

oregon wind

Magnet template
« on: December 02, 2008, 04:53:24 PM »

Does anyone have a good source for laser or waterjet cutting of magnet templates for a reasonable cost.  I would like an aluminum template for a 16" rotor with 16 1x2" magnets.

Thanks

« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 04:53:24 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Magnet template
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 12:48:44 PM »
I keep seeing this template thing mentioned. If making lots of machines I see the point but I would never have the patience to make a template for one machine. I just mark out the discs and mount the magnets to the scribed lines.

Perhaps you are lazier than me and don't want any marking out at all, I would go with the philosophy but not the cost.

Flux

« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 12:48:44 PM by Flux »

tanner0441

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 01:18:09 PM »
Hi

If you have to have a template to fix the position of the magnets, what's wrong with Fomex sheeting?  It is soft enough to cut with a craft knife, yet hard enough to stand filing to finish it off, and the epoxy will free from it if you want to remove it afterwards...

Brian

« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 01:18:09 PM by tanner0441 »

Todd a

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 02:30:03 PM »
Most towns likely have metal  shops that can do it for you.  I work in Holland Michigan and there was a shop here that cut me two 3/16" thick 10" disks with a 2" center cutout and 16 3/8" holes.  They did it in one day and charged me $32 total for the plates and cutting.  Having a lip milled in a thick walled steel pipe to fit a bearing is also pretty cheap.  This way you now the edges and bearing lip are 100% true.  I did the welding my self.  Add some good weather resistant rust proof paint (or powder coat) or epoxy.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 02:30:03 PM by Todd a »

Jeff

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 03:57:36 PM »
Most convenience and "Family Dollar" stores have those little protractors for less than $1. They are just over 180 degrees, and have a hole in the very center. If you can do the math, you can lay the thing out. If not, I'll accept about ANY contribution to do it on CAD & give you the measurements from one mag to the next. From there, it's just like copy & paste on the computer. You need to say though, EXACTLY how far from the edge you want your 1" x 2" mags. Ex: 16" dia., but you place the mags 1/2" from the edge. OK?

Sorry if this is considered soliciting on the site. Things haven't been going too well physically here, so I'm saying even a phone call/email saying thanks would be cool.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 03:57:36 PM by Jeff »

oregon wind

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 07:44:31 PM »
I would like the template for making multiple rotors
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 07:44:31 PM by oregon wind »

fungus

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 09:04:51 AM »
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 09:04:51 AM by fungus »

windstuffnow

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 01:35:48 PM »
Do you have a general layout of what you want cut?  Centering holes etc.  I have some .080 sheet I've been cutting some of my templates out of and there is enough there to cut one for you.  Shoot me an email with your drawing/layout

« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 01:35:48 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 04:28:59 PM »
Todd, why isn't there any space between the magnets on your rotors?  Is that the final position of the magnets, or were they moved out after the photo was taken?

People like Mr. Oregon are asking for templates because the typical arrangement of magnets has a space between each of them, and getting the spacing correct takes a bit of care in measuring - or a template that won't stick to the mags, as he's asking.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 04:28:59 PM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 04:34:46 PM »
Assembly Jig....

« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 04:34:46 PM by TomW »

Todd a

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 05:19:56 PM »
These are how the magnets are supposed to go.  I'm not too sure how well they will work overall.  The magnetic strength is very strong.  I get 2,000 pounds of magnetic strength (very dangerous) in a small package.  The biggest problem I have is that my coils can not be very big and I do not want to much bleed-over between two magnets.  I also got too this of wire (18g and I think 15 or 16 would have been better).  Because of this I am trying smaller coils and more of them in a 5 phase  set-up.  I have not put my generator back together (messed up the first stator).  I also need to make better blades.

I am hoping on somewhere between 500 and 1000w.  I think I need to use thicker wire, keep the coils narrow, but make them much thicker.  The strength of the magnets are so strong, so I think the thicker stator plate will work well.  I am going with a VAWT and some lift style aluminum blades.  I will make it a hybrid likely with smaller push (or drag) style blades that will help with low wind start-ups (one very big drawback of the faster lift style blades).

This is a rough drawing of my idea...

Hopefully it will work and I can get a grid tie inverter to go with it.  I am looking at doing a roof mount if the vibrations and noise is not too bad and the turbulence is not too bad without going with a taller tower.  If I need a better tower then I will have to move this my sister or brother's house.  I do not have any property for a full tower.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 05:19:56 PM by Todd a »

richhagen

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 05:41:33 PM »
You have done it in a different order than I have done.  When experimenting with a design other than one that is proven and for which the parameters are known, I build the rig and mount the magnet rotors first.  Then I can measure the voltage across a sample coil, and make my adjustments to the size of wire and number of turns to try to match the power out to what I believe the power in from the blades will be at its operating speed.  I learned this from reading up what the Dan's had done with their earlier experimenting.  Rich
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 05:41:33 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

Jerry

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 09:46:36 PM »
I use fiberglass sheeting used for shower stalls for both my stator and magnet templates. I also just complteted a motor conversion and made new motor end caps from a stack of this matirial glude into a wafer form.

Heres a picture of 1 template and the the template on the steel disc.

These templates have help hold magnets in a small 4ft wind generator with a  none furled blade in 80 mph plus winds. The rpm must extreamly high.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 09:46:36 PM by Jerry »