Author Topic: Barco WM alternative VAWT? [CLOSED]  (Read 1271 times)

DanS

Barco WM alternative VAWT? [CLOSED]
« on: January 28, 2009, 12:06:15 AM »
As demonstrated in the animation you can see here, the concept looks relatively simple. Their example has 4 arms, each containing 4 panels I suppose I'd call them, that pivot to minimize air resistance as the arms turn. When the panels are blown to be parallel with their parent arm, they lock against it so that they create a flat face to capture wind and spin the arm. once the arm is perpendicular to the wind, the panels should open out again due to the significantly-altered angle of attack from the wind. The animation has the panels staying closed to the arm much longer than I assume they would in reality.

If I was going to build this, I'd use symmetrical airfoils instead of the strange oblong slats the animation uses, and maybe 5 arms to increase overlap and smooth its motion. Plywood construction with some padding for panels hitting each other or the arms themselves, looking at maybe a 1-metre-by-1-metre design to see how it behaves.

Does this look workable? I don't like the way the panels snap back to their drag-reducing position after they're done capturing wind, it looks like it'd create a fair bit of stress for any sizable version. Especially considering how fast the panels would be spinning around in any decent breeze.

Of course I've never made a windmill of any type before, I'm just immensely curious in whether this design would actually work! I'm not looking for any real practical output, but I'm very curious as to how others here view this type of VAWT and any criticisms/suggestions they might have for actually constructing one.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 12:06:15 AM by (unknown) »

scottsAI

Re: Barco WM alternative VAWT?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 06:05:17 PM »
My God why would you want to build such a thing??

So many moving parts, wont last long.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 06:05:17 PM by scottsAI »

DanS

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 06:13:50 PM »
Mostly novelty :)

I don't think the moving parts will wear out too easily on a model this size though, i'm not going to use any bearings for the panels, just plastic on plastic. Bearings would certainly improve low-wind-speed performance, but I just want to see how this thing actually behaves in the wind (i.e. when the panels open up again on the return swing).

I've always been fascinated by overcomplicated machinery, I think it started with that Mouse Trap boardgame and went from there.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 06:13:50 PM by DanS »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 06:36:22 PM »
Just the thing for your rooftop above your

bedroom...about an 8ft.x 6ft. would do nicely?

Good Luck...looks like it would be entertaining

to watch.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 06:36:22 PM by Norm »

DanS

Oops
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 06:38:24 PM »
I just noticed that this has been posted here a couple times before. I'm reading through the past comments now and they're not very encouraging :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 06:38:24 PM by DanS »