Author Topic: Resistor in line from windgen to regulator?  (Read 738 times)

amiklic1

Resistor in line from windgen to regulator?
« on: April 10, 2009, 11:26:28 AM »
A friend of mine has bought Bergey 1KW wind generator some time ago, and he experienced some problems. A guy from USA (we're in Croatia) told him that too thick wire from generator to the regulator (indeed, it was really much thicker than suggested) is problem and in that case he has to put a resistor inline with that wire.

Now he's a bit confused and I'd like to find the reason, also, as the guy couldn't tell any more than just "do it".

Maybe it allowed a gen to speed up to fast, or?

« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 11:26:28 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Resistor in line from windgen to regulator?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 05:49:12 AM »
A wind turbine has to match the power in the wind to the load on the alternator for it to work properly.

For every wind speed there is a certain maximum power available to drive the alternator and this means keeping the tsr of the blades near constant.

If the alternator doesn't develop enough power the blades run too fast and you fall off the peak of the curve. Similarly if the alternator is too powerful you stall the blades.

Part of the design is to try to get the load to match the power available in the wind.

Any losses in the system such as cable loss are part of this balancing act and certainly with the home built axial machines this line loss is fairly critical.

I wouldn't have expected this to be such an issue with a Bergey as long as the cable was adequate, too thin a cable would let the blades want to run too fast. I am a little surprised that it is possible to go the other way and stall the blades with a machine built down to a price, where the alternator cost would already have been cut fairly fine, but if they say so then I would accept it ( at least for a try).

Certainly this resistance you need to add will be quite small and probably adding a few yards of thinner cable would be the easier option than buying a costly and not easily changed resistor.

Try adding a few yards of light cable ( but heavy enough to carry the full load current without overheating). Then add some more until you see things reaching a peak then going the other way. You will find that you can easily add to much so I don't expect you will need a lot to prove the point.

Hope this helps, let us know the outcome .

Flux

« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 05:49:12 AM by Flux »

amiklic1

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 12:19:11 PM »
OK, maybe the problem was too thin cable, I'm not quite sure. I just wrote what he told.

Now I understand the possible issue.

Thanks...

« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 12:19:11 PM by amiklic1 »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 12:50:27 PM »
If the cable was too thin then no form of resistor is going to do anything but make it worse.

Usually with the Bergey machines the cable needs to be quite thick to keep loss low. That was why I was surprised to hear that there was an issue with cable that is too thick but  if the speed is reduced by a low resistance connection it could produce stall. The XL1 has a boost circuit that would make this unlikely but there may be other machines in the 1kW region, I haven't kept up with developments.

Flux

« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 12:50:27 PM by Flux »