Author Topic: guy-gin pole attachment?  (Read 2098 times)

ralph5

guy-gin pole attachment?
« on: June 24, 2009, 02:37:10 AM »
I like the idea of the bergey tilt up tower with the eyes swaged in the guy lines so they can easily be transfered from the gin pole to the guy anchor. But, what is a better way to handle these guy lines and a gin pole guy?    
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 02:37:10 AM by (unknown) »

electronbaby

• Windsine.org
Re: guy-gin pole attachment?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 09:03:44 PM »
The best way I know of, is to have the length or the gin pole, be the exact guy radius length, - long. Therefore you never need to remove the guys from the gin pole, but simple anchor and tension the gin pole to the ground.

It would be best to put the swaged end on the top of the tower. Swaged loops are less susceptible to vibration failure and need less attention at the tower top. I personally would place all wire rope clamps that require torquing, near the ground, so you always could check them without having to drop the whole tower. If it is a pipe tower, you will need to be able to adjust the lower cable clamps anyway when test raising and plumbing the tower.

just my two cents.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 09:03:44 PM by electronbaby »
Have Fun!!!  RoyR KB2UHF

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 10:36:21 PM »
I agree with the above, it is a pain to be swapping cables, the gin pole should be less than 90deg to the tower so that when the tower is raised it is about 2-3' off the ground, I use a turnbuckle in the cable that anchors the gin pole to the ground anchor.

Allan down under

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 10:36:21 PM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 10:41:36 PM »

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 10:41:36 PM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

halfcrazy

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 07:32:57 AM »
Allan that must be a tall tower i counted 6 sets of guys. I to like the idea of the gin pole being part of the tower no transferring guy wires. My personnel setup is close to Allan's just my gin pole is only 12 inches of the ground.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 07:32:57 AM by halfcrazy »

ralph5

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 08:17:07 PM »
Ahh! That is a good idea. I would have to remove the gin pole or keep it flat on the ground. But with the gin pole the same radius as the guys i wouldnt need an extra set of eyes on the guys.

Thanks for the picture.

Im interested in your guy anchor in the picture.

Im scared to buy the 6" screw in anchors for fear that i wont be able to get them in the ground, and positioned correctly.  I would like to be able to dig a post hole at an angle away from the tower about 5 to 6 feet deep insert a heavy angle iron, pour a bag of cement in the bottom, backfill and pour a bag of cement near the top. It just seems to easy...

I want to erect an 8' turbine on a 20 foot or maybe a 30 foot tower.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 08:17:07 PM by ralph5 »

scoraigwind

• www.scoraigwind.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 09:20:37 AM »
You may be OK using a gin pole that reaches all the way to the anchor on a 40 foot tower.  Make sure the gin pole is plenty long so the anchors are nt too close.  I usually have a separate set of guys for the gin pole and the anchor.  Then the gin pole can be shorter and the anchors far away.  Or if the tower is stout then I just pull from the top of the tower with a single lift rope over the forked end of the gin pole.  That works well for me on a forty foot tower of 3 inch pipe.  It sages a bit in the middle.  I also guy the gin pole itself to teh middle of the tower which helps to support teh tower and stop the gin pole falling over too.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 09:20:37 AM by scoraigwind »
Hugh Piggott scoraigwind.co.uk