Author Topic: Recycled Plastic Lumber for Blades  (Read 1437 times)

Electron

Recycled Plastic Lumber for Blades
« on: July 13, 2009, 03:23:44 AM »
Hi, I'm new here and no I haven't built a wind turbine but I'm planning one.  I'm wondering if anyone has tried RPL (recycled plastic lumber) for turbine blades. I've never used the stuff for anything so I'm wondering if it's easy to carve and is it stiff enough for blades.

http://www.ciwmb.ca.gov/Plastic/Recycled/Lumber/

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 03:23:44 AM by (unknown) »

Beaufort

Re: Recycled Plastic Lumber for Blades
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 07:12:24 AM »
I've been working with pure HDPE recycled lumber for a while, using it for various non-blade parts of a turbine under development for the commercial market.  The bottom line is that it's not suitable for the type of loading for blades.  A 2" x 4" x 6' piece of the lumber is very heavy and floppy like a noodle, and doesn't do well with tensile loading.  The lumber that has HDPE mixed with wood chips is stiffer, but even worse tensile performance which would be a problem for blades.  

One tip-off is the charts the RPL companies publish for building decking.  They specify the maximum beam spacing to support a load safely, and for RPL the spacing is closer together than wood. So a blade out of RPL would need to be thicker than wood to get the same load carrying capacity.  Fatigue performance over time for tension is a big scary unknown for blades, but compression loading is fine as they use for decks.

There are many advantages of the material (especially pure HDPE lumber) including superior UV and weather endurance with no painting, and excellent impact resistance.  It machines like butter, but it cannot be sanded to get a nice finish.  A metal blade must be used at high speed to get the surface to take the smooth, slick sheen that resists dirt and stains.  Care must be taken when machining the molded lumber, as the material will warp like many other plastics that have surface stresses.  Great material for certain uses, but not blades.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 07:12:24 AM by Beaufort »

Jerry

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 12:01:47 PM »
I use it for a mounting base, blade root support and bearing mount/holder/support on my wind generators.

Jerry

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 12:01:47 PM by Jerry »

Electron

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 05:31:19 PM »
Thanks for the advice, even if it was disappointing.  I don't blame the messenger though.

I've been looking for anything but wood for blades because I want to avoid having to take this thing down for maintenance.  What I've read here so far dissuades me from even considering PVC pipe.  Maybe wood is best after all. My project is far in the future so maybe I can make the blades well in advance and soak them in linseed oil for a couple of months.

Thanks again.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 05:31:19 PM by Electron »

Beaufort

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 09:40:49 PM »
Are you mounting bearings directly into the recycled plastic, or just bolting a pillow block onto it?  I've been very conflicted about mounting a deep groove roller bearing into a pocket of the stuff, however the loading numbers show it should work just fine for small wind turbines.  Putting support bearings into metal feels better, and is likely to hold aligment better over time.  We're using pure recycled HDPE for the outside housing (E-hub style alternator with an internal stator).  Can't beat the stuff for price, durability, and the environmental bonus.  Just be sure to recycle the chips to make more plastic!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 09:40:49 PM by Beaufort »

Jerry

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 09:35:43 AM »
Heres the motor conversion end cap. I've also used this materiel as a bearing support on my tower to alow the tower stub to rotate. It works for many things.

This has made the best end cap yet for the Garbogen. I also use it in the same capacity in my duel rotor disc machines.

Very reliable and strong. Weather has no effect on it.

Jerry

« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 09:35:43 AM by Jerry »

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 10:09:38 AM »
What is the price of that material there?

- hv

« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 10:09:38 AM by hvirtane »