Author Topic: DIY anamometer.  (Read 7532 times)

Jerry

DIY anamometer.
« on: October 20, 2011, 08:50:44 PM »
I was lucky enogh to find an analog anamometer meter at the local thrift shop. The unlucky part was that was all there was. Just the meter only. Not put off by this I had purchased the 3 littel plastic cup asembly from our host years ago. All this stuff sat on the shelf untill about mid sommer. It was time to put something together and make this work.

I don't have it totaly calibrated yet but its close. The original unit used a small pm motor to drive the meter scale. I opted for a capstane drive motor from a vcr. This motor was PM 3 phase brushless. I made a 3 phase diode bridge out of six 1 amp doides. I'm using a 50k trim pot at the meter and all looks well. Not bad for about $10. Its been fun to watch real time wind speed. I hate waighting on those digital things. I got a show me now kinda atitude.

Jerry

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: DIY anamometer.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 02:22:46 PM »
There's a ring around the anemometer, like a ring of wire (or the edge of an acrylic circle??)
Is that to support the anemometet & cover the sensitive vitals?

No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Jerry

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 09:12:57 PM »
I think the line is a shadow of the plexe mounting plate?

Jerry

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 10:46:48 PM »
"I made a 3 phase diode bridge out of six 1 amp doides"

Regular 1N400X or Schottky diodes?
It seems like Schottky diodes would be better for this.

G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Jerry

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 10:34:53 PM »
Hi G. Just the regular 1n400s. Nothin special. This motor has a diferant curve then the original brush type motor. I have a prety large value voltage divider in use here. No problem with enough drive voltage.

Jerry

midwoud1

• There are more chiefs than indians
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 11:59:27 AM »
DIY anemometer .

Hi Jerry . I read your project anemometer. I made one with a reed contact .It works here very good for 25 years.
It has a very good lineair output and with a simple trigger circuit it can activate an alarm (led  or buzzer )
or a relay to stop the windmill.   Rgds : Frans                                     4197-0