Author Topic: My Best Wind Day Yet  (Read 1555 times)

bzrqmy

My Best Wind Day Yet
« on: October 23, 2009, 04:20:46 PM »
Had some good wind today.  Set a record since I have been keeping daily wind output records.  Turbine has been up since about Eart Day in April.  Produced over 2.2KWH on the Otherpower 10 footer.

I am a little concerned about my furling tho.  At what point do I need to worry about smoking my stator?  I imagine it was only at 1477 for a short period of time, but I am to believe that furling should limit this to about 1000 Watts.  I do not have any wind measuring equipment, but Weather Bug reports gusts at 35 mph.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 04:20:46 PM by (unknown) »

bzrqmy

Re: My Best Wind Day Yet
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 07:53:53 PM »
Update:  Total output for 10-23-09 is just over 2700WH..   Time to go to bed.  It was fun to watch this thing make power.  I am usually at work when this thing makes power and never get to watch.  Got some ideas about a multi-stage diversion controller that will turn loads on and off based on battery state and turbine output.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 07:53:53 PM by bzrqmy »

dapdan

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 08:15:44 AM »
Hey B,

Based on your max output and using a voltage of 28v you amps seem to be around 50amp max. How does your watt up meter handle this current. Do you use the original wire the meter came with and basically hook it up in line with the negative line coming out of the rectifier or do you have it set up anonther way. Please clarify how you have the meter wire up I am looking at getting one of those meter but in the other version-Doc wattson.

Cheer...

Damani

« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 08:15:44 AM by dapdan »

bzrqmy

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 09:07:04 AM »
It's just the leads that came with it.  Sure wish they were bigger.  Have not had any trouble with the wires getting hot.  There is someone on here that is using one of these and logging 100 amps.. It turns the LCD display black, but the display comes back when cooled.   I believe he was using the stock wires as well.  I am going to panel mount this one, and another to measure watt hours used through the inverter.  
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 09:07:04 AM by bzrqmy »

wellusee

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 04:54:43 PM »
Hi al,

I have the 24volt 10' version with a Tri-Star 60 and like that we had some gale force wind here in Ireland. My 4 Rools batteries 6volt each were easily topped up to float 28 volts. So I disconnected one lead from the rectifier and put a voltmeter on and got a peak voltage from a gust at 125 volts. I had to switch off the alternator with the kill switch to reconnect the rectifier as the first attempt created huge sparking not a good thing to do when you can smell the hydrogen gassing from the floating batteries!.

Anyway reading your piece I'm just wondering how do you translate Volts or hook up an Amp meter to measure Amps for the 10 footer?

After boiling the electric kettle ( 2200 watt ) it only took 20 minutes until the Tri-Star began dumping again.

Paddy.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 04:54:43 PM by wellusee »

bzrqmy

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 09:40:29 PM »
Well,  not really getting any answers to my questions about furling and maximum current before I fry my stator.  Little worried about pushing 54 amps at 24V.

Here is an update to the above output numbers posted last week.

As you can see, I hit 54 amps on the 10 foot Otherpower standard stator.

Wind gusts of 44 MPH today.  I am guessing that I have some work to do on my tail.   Lighter or smaller I am thinking.

4610 Watt Hours in an 18 hour period, I am pretty happy with that.

Also, you will notice that my battery voltage at the time I took the picture is pretty high.  I still have some work to do to the diversion controller, but I had pretty much shut down all my loads right before I hit the shutdown switch.  Too much wind to go to sleep and not be monitored.

Sure wich I was pushing all that power into the grid.  I was running all kinds of stuff to keep from frying my 300 AH battery bank. Once it got dark, I put a 1,000,000 candle power (60W) spotlight on the turbine so I could watch it come apart, good thing it didnt, nice design Dans.  I was running computers, monitors, incandesent lights, and made a pot or two of coffee to divert the extra power.

Anwyay, just wanted to share.  Time to go to bed and dream.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 09:40:29 PM by bzrqmy »